'86 Force 85 HP

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi! Just bought an '86 Bayliner Trophy with a '86 Force 85 HP on it. The decals on the hood are really faded bad and peeling off. Anyone know where new decals could be purchased?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: '86 Force 85 HP

You may be able to get some at a Merc dealer---but I doubt it. My first choice would be to go to a car-wrap decal maker and design some new ones to your liking.

This decal cost me 37 bucks for each side and look how much more complex it is than the stock graphics

Attachments

• CL.jpg
    CL.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 0
  • exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 0

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did any of you guyz ever get replacement decals for your Force outboard? If so, did you find sum factory decals or get custom ones made? If you got something custom, I'd love to see a pic!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can anyone tell me what a compression test should be on my outboard? Whats considered good? Whats acceptable? And whats NOT!? Hoping to get that done here this wknd and I wanna know what the numbers mean. Thanx

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

100#-150# all within 10%

Thanx! I'll post what I find once I get a compression tester that works. Tried it on Friday but its only showing little over 30#s. I tested my 28 hp Johnson that runs good and it shows about the same. So guess the tester is bad. Have to get another tester and try again...

Hows that for a new tester from Auto Zone?? :rolleyes:

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok guys I'm back now...:)

After one more bad tester from Auto Zone I bought one from Fisher's (Federated Auto Parts) and it works. sigh....

I got about 128 psi on the top 2 cylinders. The bottom one barely registered anything. Like just a couple pounds. It was so much dif you could feel the difference by putting your thumb over the spark plug hole.

Soo....what is potentially the problem? One guy had told me maybe a hole in the top of the piston?

Whats your thots and is it fixable or??

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your gonna need to pull the head and inspect for whats causing it. Could be a melted piston or a hole - either way probably would need a rebuild. Anything is fixable, just a matter of whether or not you are willing to put the time, money into it. I had the same issue last year on a 89, 90hp where the bottom cyl had no compression - turned out to be a melted piston. I just wanted to get out on the water cause it was middle of summer so I sold it, and picked up an 88, 85hp that runs great.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your gonna need to pull the head and inspect for whats causing it. Could be a melted piston or a hole - either way probably would need a rebuild. Anything is fixable, just a matter of whether or not you are willing to put the time, money into it. I had the same issue last year on a 89, 90hp where the bottom cyl had no compression - turned out to be a melted piston. I just wanted to get out on the water cause it was middle of summer so I sold it, and picked up an 88, 85hp that runs great.

Ok...So supposing that is the problem..does anyone have any idea what sort of $$ were talking about to fix it? Is it worth fixing? I did buy another outboard today so I dont NEED this one for my boat. If its not too major and complicated tho I mite see about fixing it and selling it.

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My rebuild cost me about $500-$550 last year on my 90HP. That included reboring 1 hole, honing the other two and all new pistons gaskets, etc.

I had about two weekends into the rebuild. One to tear it down and one to reassemble it. Total time out of the water was about 1 month waiting for parts and the machine shop etc. HTH

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok...guess I should pull the head and see what it looks like. I'm probably gonna sell the outboard since I bought a replacement. Is it more cost effective for me to fix this and then sell it or just sell it as a parts motor?

How much can you expect to get from a parts motor like that? Its in excellent shape otherwise.

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Believe it or not you can get pretty good $$$ out of them parting them out if your patient. Even with a blown powerhead you can probably get close to 4 digits. Again, that is if your patient, price and sell at the right time, etc. The electronic ignition components and lower unit will be the big $$$ makers.

As far as selling it as a complete blown motor you won't get much in all likelihood. As for rebuilding and selling that is a lot of work and energy that you probably won't see reciprocated in dollars when you sell. If it was me it would be parted out.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Believe it or not you can get pretty good $$$ out of them parting them out if your patient. Even with a blown powerhead you can probably get close to 4 digits. Again, that is if your patient, price and sell at the right time, etc. The electronic ignition components and lower unit will be the big $$$ makers.

As far as selling it as a complete blown motor you won't get much in all likelihood. As for rebuilding and selling that is a lot of work and energy that you probably won't see reciprocated in dollars when you sell. If it was me it would be parted out.

Very interesting! Thanks for your input! I would be definately open to the option of parting it out if that has better return potential. What all is on an outboard that is worth anything in used parts? Besides the aforementioned...

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Same engine here also. I'm going to get some paint at the dealer to repaint the outboard. Going to get a decal made that says 85 Forcepower...