86 Dixie Super Skier 299 make over

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 86 Dixie Super Skier 299 make over

jfw432,any progress?

Yep. Just finished painting it yesterday. The side pictures don't do it justice but the back picture with the sun on it is closer to what it actually looks like.

DSCF1011.jpg

DSCF1012.jpg

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow, lookin good. Keep us posted.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks great, I really like the blue color!

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well it's been a while since I really did anything with this boat. I do stand up jetskiing primarily and have been getting my ski ready for a trip to Daytona Beach in a couple weeks.

Anyway, I have made some more progress but not a lot to show. I installed a radio over the fall and put that back in. Cleaned up the carpet from all the crap that got on it over fall. Installed the gauges and electrics back in the boat. I also cleaned up the throttle handle. It took about 2 hours of hand sanding (while I watched a movie) to get all the chrome pits out and 5 minutes of polishing. I polished up all the gauges as well but unfortunately the hour gauge has some condensation in the picture.

Everything works though. I cranked the engine up real quick and all appears to be in good shape.

DSCF1070.jpg

DSCF1072.jpg

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I also put hydroturf on the swim deck and on the flat spot on the back of the boat. This will provide the much needed traction that even some of the nicest swim decks lack. Unfortunately, I think I will have to recruit a friend to help me get the swim deck back on the boat because it's quite heavy.

swimdeck.jpg

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very nice work. That gauge panel looks awsome.

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a long overdue update. I didn't work much during the colder months.

I turfed the engine cover instead of putting padded vinyl back on it. Not everyone will like it but I don't have the tools to sew my own and I was fearful of how much it would cost to make a new vinyl cover from scratch.

I also got the vinyl decals on it.

turf.jpg

DSCF1183.jpg

DSCF1180.jpg

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your boat looks great. Nice job.
You should be proud of your work.

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So I'm basically finished with the boat and it's completely useable. I still have some engine, wiring, and bilge work that I'd like to do to make everything look pretty. I'd also like to get new gauges that don't leak and get condensation in them all the time but new gauges aren't cheap. Come to think of it, there are tons of things I still want to do to the boat but all of it can be done at any time as basic improvements.

I bought new seats because reupholstering the old ones was going to cost almost $400. So I had 2 brand new seats custom made that are much better than the ones I had for $445 shipped. The drivers seat is even a bolster seat. The seats don't completely match the rest of the interior but they match each other and they match the boat so they don't look out of place. I replaced the steering wheel as well which required special drilled and mounting but I don't like most marine steering wheels.

The rub rails are made of aluminum bar 1/8" thick x 1" wide x 96" long. I bought all 6 pieces needed to do the boat from onlinemetals.com for a whopping $25, polished them, and then rivetted them to the boat. Sure they might get dinged up if I hit a piling but at like $4 a piece, I can replace an 8 foot section in no time and for next to nothing.

DSCF1273.jpg

DSCF1275.jpg

DSCF1276.jpg

DSCF1277.jpg

DSCF1278.jpg

DSCF1279.jpg

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Two more pictures.

DSCF1280.jpg

DSCF12722.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Your project came out very nice. Great work!

Perlmudder

Seaman Apprentice

nice job on the boat! do you ever hang out on x-h2o?

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah I'm Waternut on x-h20... I'm curious what clued you in though.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

That was a nice boat 'til you got ahold of her.

Now she's BAD-(alternate word for donkey)!!! Great work dude!
I love budget / DIY builds like this!

Perlmudder

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I'm Waternut on x-h20... I'm curious what clued you in though.

Once you mentioned getting a ski ready for the Daytona Free Ride! I am Perlmudder on xh20. I don't hang out their very often though. Just bougt a Kawi 650 sx last year.

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The engine was cleaned up, painted, and I bought some chrome valve covers/breathers and all new gaskets for $50. New water hoses were like $40 though....go figure. I didn't want to spray engine enamel inside my freshly painted boat so I sprayed the paint into a cup and brushed it on on the engine block. It turned out a lot better than I thought. I did pull the exhaust manifolds, cooling diverters, and alternator off for paint though.

Old engine...
DSCF9286.jpg

New engine...
DSCF1280-1.jpg

DSCF1278-1.jpg