86 CC BR deck and stringers done

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer
After about 5 weeks of some really messy and tough work, my stringers and deck are done. The deck is solid as a rock, and the windshield lines up great. I can jump on the deck and it feels good to find it solid.​

I am taking a break to visit the folks in upstate NY for a week, then back to work. I still have to build a new firewall, get the fuel tank back in, interior and rigging.​

I plan to get the engine up and running and take it out while the engine is "exposed". I already replaced the bellows and gimbal and had it running before tearing it apart. I hope to get it out on the bay completed by Memorial day.​

All I can say about this project is "A lot of work". I took my time to do it right, and hope it will last for some years.​

If I can give any advice to anyone thinking of doing this kind of work, I will say that the best thing to do is DIG. I had a leaking fuel tank, original rotting hoses, and a lot of other small things that would have lead to some serious trouble on the water. This past weekend, a boat burned in the bay and 2 people were killed. This happened after some "engine work" was just completed. Knowing everything is up to the task will give you peace of mind and will prevent something like this happening.​

Anyway, I could not get this far without you folks on this board. I have learned a lot, and being a boating noob, I feel pretty good that it was done correctly. After it's finally complete and rigged, I will take it to be inspected by the Coast Guard before I hit the bay.​

Thanks again guys for the help and tips.​

Here are a few photos. I have more on my ShareAProject site.​

Attachments

• Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 0
  • strings.JPG
    strings.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
  • finished.JPG
    finished.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 0

lundnisswa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 86 CC BR deck and stringers done

Went through the photo shop, your stringers and floor are looking great! What wieght cloth did you end up putting on the deck?
Yeah tell me about sucking resin, that 1708 absolutely drinks the stuff.

Do you feel all those screws are neccessary on the decking? I was going to try to stick to PL'em down, minimize holes in the new deck and stringers to help prevent water intrusion.

Keep up the great work.
Not too bad for a "Old Retired backshop guy". LOL

Lund

i386

Captain

Looking good. I'll be watching this one.:)

I've been offered a very similar Chris Craft for free by my FIL. I haven't accepted the offer yet as there's no such thing as a free boat but who knows I might at some point. The first time he offered I didn't have anything that would pull it but I do now. Supposedly the boat is structurally sound though I know he replaced the deck years ago. No work has been done to the transom. He says the only problem is shifting problems with the out drive. He claims he's "done with it" and just wishes we'd just come get it. He's got a Bass Tracker and says that's the only boat he needs anymore. I've been trying to get him to sell it and get a pontoon boat. I think he misses taking the family out on the boat but doesn't want to fool with the ski boat anymore.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Lund, I used both the screws and PL to bond to the stringers. Call it overkill if you will. I was able to bond the sides and held them with scraps of wood wedged between the sides and deck to clamp them down, and the screws were really used to clamp the deck down to the stringers. They are sealed in with the glass so water intrusion should not be a factor. You really do not need the screws, but make sure you weigh it all down good until the adhesive sets. I glassed it in with 1.5 mat and 8.9 oz cloth.​

i386, I think any boat that is free is good. I have a 1960 Starcraft sitting in the back yard that I got "almost" free. I know I can get some money for it if I decided to get rid of it, but I think I will get to it this fall. It will be a heck of a lot easier to replace that deck, and the transom will also have to be replaced. My CC has a good transom and the rear stringer wood was rock solid. I was very surprised by this, but it looks like the transom was very well sealed up from the factory. Maybe the engine heat helped dry it all up, who knows. I do know the engine mount was replaced in the past, and it is in great shape.​

oops!

Supreme Mariner

looks really really good ......:)

congrats on a job well done !

hope ya stick around the forums.

cheers
oops