Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '86 Aluminum Starcraft Restoration

Forget it video link wouldnt load

Last edited:

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Alright guys so I didn't get a ton done this weekend but I did manage to get this done.
image_zps8eb3d00a.jpg
pulled the motor off the other boat and my buddy trailered her home. Now she's safe and sound in my basement.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Alright guys so I didn't get a ton done this weekend but I did manage to get this done.
image_zps8eb3d00a.jpg
pulled the motor off the other boat and my buddy trailered her home. Now she's safe and sound in my basement.

DUDE!!! You LYNCHED an outboard motor!!!:eek:

sutor623

Rear Admiral

DUDE!!! You LYNCHED an outboard motor!!!:eek:

Well you know how these '80s Evinrudes are. Real hard to kill! But in all seriousness, I didn't want to buy an $80 strap to go onto my motor hoist so I used a 3300# tow rope instead. Pulled the LU off just because I didn't want to risk breaking off the skeg or ruining my prop. If I only had a garage........

jbcurt00

Staff member

I actually thought the same thing: Why would you want to lynch an OB, esp an E/J OB?

Nice job on the sling, OB motor stand, if you don't yet have 1 built... And another

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got a crack out of the Dillards Bridge picture... I was on Anna yesterday testing my boat and went under that bridge :p

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I got a crack out of the Dillards Bridge picture... I was on Anna yesterday testing my boat and went under that bridge :p

Oh yea, thats pretty cool. If you were on Anna in this cold weather I'd guess you were trying to get into them linesiders? Or was it strictly just a test run?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

About to go pick up a timing light with inductive tachometer. Could have saved me a lot of headaches in the past. Got done with my DVA meter last night. Been helping a friend with a Merc 115 from '86, so I haven't been making lots of progress on my thread. I am glad that I got the motor up Sunday though.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh yea, thats pretty cool. If you were on Anna in this cold weather I'd guess you were trying to get into them linesiders? Or was it strictly just a test run?

It was a test run/scouting trip. Was scouting out some waterfowl spots for next season. Was one of the few dummies on the water in the snow, lol. I am looking forward to chasing some of them linesiders though at some point. Got a little more work to do but we did make a 40 mile run out there on the lake.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Sweet man, 40 miles is a nice test run. Hit me up one day man maybe we can meet up there and hit up the stripeys. Trade some Anna secrets.....

So guys I let my buddy keep the ladder on the Starcraft that I got the motor off of. I think it is a factory install because of the way it was installed, and all of the rivets in the side rails are factory because they have the paint on them. Anyways, I didnt want to leave 4 huge holes in my bud's boat so I left it on there. I did like it but I am thinking about doing something a little different. Maybe a hook over the side idea? Also I was thinking of installing a ladder or using a removable hook ladder over the bow or gunnels. Like this:Original Gunwale Eez-In Hook Ladder - iboats The other desire that I have is to add a doggie ladder. If I do that though I have to put on a permanent ladder that goes over the transom. I do not like the idea of climbing over a slippery splash well. Guess I could use some skateboard grip tape on the splash well. Any ideas or inputs? Here is the factory setup on the boat that I just got rid of.

jbcurt00

Staff member

This may be of assistance getting the dog aboard:
4e78f45843e0f_zpseec81aa4.jpg

Start keeping an eye out for yard sale ladders though :watermelon:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I installed this one on my boat:
Folding Ladder - Universal Mount | Bass Pro Shops

Cheap, easy to install, permenant, and doesn't take up any room inside the boat.

I've never used it and didn't install it for swimming or water sports, I installed it for MOB emergency... so I could crawl my old decrepit butt back in the boat if I ever fall out.:D An old man could die of hypothermia trying to get back into a deep V boat by himself.:faint2: