86 60hp Johnson Prop suggestions

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im sorry if this is a tiring topic or it has been gone over a hundred times! I have a 18' aluminum Starcraft with a 60 hp Johnson. Currently it has a 3 blade 13 3/4 x 15p aluminum prop on it. Just curious what some would recommend for this set up. I had the boat at 30 +/- mph with 2 adults and 4 children under 7. I'm not dissatisfied with that speed or anything, but if I can get more out then why not eh? The current prop has a few dings in it so im guessing it can do even better if refurbished. Anyone have a similar setup with a different prop? Im looking to buy another as a spare anyway.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
"THE" answer to your question lies in your Wide Open Throttle (WOT) RPMs with your usual load. If you can't find a recommended rpm for that engine or somebody doesn't give it to you, use 5000. Prop for that to answer your question. Everything else is irrelevant!

"But I don't have a tach!!!!!!!!" Well sir, if you are that interested in doing what you say, you might try a "Tiny Tach" for about $50 give or take. You need that number to do any kind of effective "tweaking".

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep, palinly in agreement. Althouth is not Rocket Science, it's very close to it. Will add to each combo and type of boating, his own prop for boating perfection.

Happy Boating

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well you nailed it. I knew all that but don't have a tach. Just wondering if anybody has had the same setup. Kinda a long shot I know. I don't know the wot for this motor either. Any idea where I can find that?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Well you nailed it. I knew all that but don't have a tach. Just wondering if anybody has had the same setup. Kinda a long shot I know. I don't know the wot for this motor either. Any idea where I can find that?

According to prop line, it's 5500 -6000. ebay has cheap tiny tachs!