85hp starter

jazz2069

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Messages
3
I just ordered a starter gear because when starting it skips on the teeth. The gears on the starter are bad, but do I also need to buy the nut and spring kit?? mine looks ok. I would have just ordered it but they want 27.00 for a spring and a nut.The pinion gear was 45.00. Thanks Jazz
 

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
8,217
Re: 85hp starter

The most common cause of flywheel and bendix gears wearing prematurly is the bendix assembly(spring/cog/nut et al). BUT, it's not that the components are defective, just that they aren't moving the way they were designed to move due to no lubrication or dirt. <br />These bendix assemblies ,found on most outboards, need frequent lubrication with a penetrating lube like WD-40, PB-Blaster ect.<br />If the outboard sits idle a lot, I would squirt the bendix assy until it's saturated, and move it by hand to make sure it moves freely, before i tried to start it. Use the penetratant as a cleaner ,literally applying it until the lube running-off of the assembly is as clear as the lube applied to it.<br /><br />The second most-popular failure is the starter itself, or the battery. The bendix assembly operates on centrifugal force. If the starter is dragging (iether by defect or bad power delivery TO the starter), it will not develop enough RPMs to operate the bendix properly.
 
Top