85hp fuel mixture

jayseas

Cadet
I just bought a 1989 bayliner capri 1700 with the 85hp force from the oringinal owner here in Idaho. The boat is in pretty good shape. The owner tells me he has ran the fuel mixture with Amsoil, 100:1 mix, he has had no trouble with the engine for the 33 years, running this mix. But i see on the web it says to run 50:1. The engine sounds good and idles and runs good. I'm new to boats and outboards. Any comments.

Jiggz

Captain
Well the manufacturer's manual states, "50:1" fuel oil mix. Why the original owner decided to use 100:1 is beyond anyone. Could it be he is a mechanical engineer who knows better than the manufacturer's engineer? Or is he trying to cover up for something that is wrong with the motor that if you use 50:1 and a catastrophic failure happens blame it on you instead? It is a roll of the dice but if the motor is running perfectly, it should also run perfectly with the manufacturer's requirement of 50:1 fuel oil mix.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Use 50:1 in this motor.---Bearings need lots of OIL to set up the " hydrodynamic wedge "-----That is what keeps the metal bits from touching.------Examples of a hydrodynamic wedge are a boat up on plane.-----Boat is the " bearing " and water is the lubricant.------A water skier also needs that wedge.----Same thing.