850 vs 80hp merc.

I have a sweet running 79 80hp merc on the back of my spectrum. A guy locally has a mid-70's 850 merc for a good price(including junk boat and trailer). What parts are compatible between the two engines? Any real difference other than hp rating? are the fuel and electrical components the same? I had a Force on the boat before, and having a parts motor saved the day numerous times! :D

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 850 vs 80hp merc.

What parts are compatible between the two engines?
Just a few internal parts as carbs, electrical, wiring harness are all different. The difference between th old 80 and 85 was a power ported block and piston which you already have. The lower unit will interchange and midsection if you have the external trim cylinders(pump in boat)

Re: 850 vs 80hp merc.

Thanks! it sold anyway before I could call him back, sounds like it wasn't worth my time. If it had power trim then maybe, but I scored a design 1 system off a later one for $99 and had to put a $147 pump/motor in it. Thats the project for next week, its a complete set up from the midsection to the transom mount. After having that old force leave me paddling numerous times i'd be more comfortable having spare parts at home, but these mercs. seem pretty bulletproof.:D