85 Johnson 115Hp V4 Tach Question(s)

ulmatms

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
13
This is actually two questions but I'm not sure if one is related to the other. <br /><br />1. My tach (brand new) will read correct RPMs (most of the time) up until 2000RPMs. Anything after that and it goes to zero. Also it jumps around between 0 and 2000 RPMs sometimes but never above 2000RPMs. I haven't tested the charging voltage (tomorrow) but my bet is the rectifier. Does that seem right?<br /><br />2. This is where I am curious. My hole shot is horrible. 15-20 sec just to plane out, sometimes more, and absolutly never faster then 35MPH but usually around 30 MAX. It seems like I am missing a cylinder (or 2???) but no working tach = not knowing engine RPMs. My second question is this. What can kill a rectifier besides reversing polarity?? Could whatever seems to be robbing my power had killed it? I just don't want to buy a new rectifier and have it be killed again because something else might be wrong. Stator maybe?<br /><br />Anyways, CT were 115, 115 115 110. Any info would be apreciated.<br /><br />Adam
 

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Apr 28, 2002
Messages
7,518
Re: 85 Johnson 115Hp V4 Tach Question(s)

Well lets see - While I think you might let us know what kind of boat this is on (age, length & construction). Next you need to begin to troubleshoot the motor before you start putting on new parts.<br /><br />What do the plugs look like? Do they all look the same? What plugs do you have? Can you get spark to jump a 1/2" gap with a bright blue snap? Start there & post back.<br /><br />Compression is great.<br /><br />You would be well off to get a OMC shop & parts manual for your motor. You will save $ in just getting this motor sorted out with the manuals.
 

piniongear

Seaman
Joined
Oct 22, 2004
Messages
65
Re: 85 Johnson 115Hp V4 Tach Question(s)

What do you have the setting at on the backside of the tach? #6? If your rectifier is out, the volt meter should be pegging the needle when you are running.
 

ulmatms

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
13
Re: 85 Johnson 115Hp V4 Tach Question(s)

Sorry, thought I posted that information. It's an 82 performance bass boat. It's around 17'6" long and made of fiberglass.<br /><br />The spark plugs are brand new. I don't remember off hand the model number but they are the champions that are suppose to go with that motor. I will pull them as soon as it stops raining and write back what they look like.<br /><br />I figure the rectifier is the tachs problem (will test when stops raining) because I connected my new tach to a friends boat and it worked fine (6P setting for my motor right?).<br /><br />Also, can't test spark untill stop raining also.<br /><br />I was just wondering if there is something on the motor that can go out and kill the rectifier.<br /><br />Adam
 

ulmatms

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
13
Re: 85 Johnson 115Hp V4 Tach Question(s)

UPDATE:<br /><br />After conpleating testing here is what i have come up with.<br /><br />1. In using a test I found from Joe. I attached the grey wire going to my tach to the yellow/gray wire comming from the rectifier. Bingo, the tach worked. Bad Rectifier from what I can see.<br /><br />2. Did a test of the charging coil that was in my repair book. I got 110V from one side and 95V from the other side. The book said that i should get 150V or more from both. Is this right? Should I replace the charging coil?<br /><br />3. Spark plugs looked fine.<br /><br />4. didn't have time to test the spark.<br /><br />Any thoughts??<br /><br />Adam
 
Top