85 Force Tilt/Trim

browneyz1968

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 4, 2007
Messages
1
What a great forum! I feel lucky to have found such a place with so much information. I ran a search on the above topic and could not find anything matching my scenario so I decided to post a question after much reading. My 85 Force was working just fine when I garaged it for the winter back in November. Now I am in the process of getting it ready for this year and find that the tilt won't budge. The motor is in the up position and when I hit the switch there's no sound whatsoever. The motor turns over fine and I have checked for corrosion issues and such. Does this mean I have a bad tilt motor/pump or should I be looking elsewhere first? Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated!
 

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
12,004
Re: 85 Force Tilt/Trim

I assume that by motor turns fine you mean the starter motor and engine turns over. To avoid confusion, Motors are always electric, Engines burn fuel. If the tilt motor was working you would hear it. If it is jammed, it will hum for a short time then pop the circuit breaker. If that's the case, check for a jammed pump or motor armature. Rust on the armature can do this.
First check the circuit breaker if there is one. It will be on the lower shroud near the starter relay. Push the reset button on the side. Next, recheck the battery terminals. If they get a little corroded, there is a high resistance connection and the motor sometimes won't turn. I usually put a ss 3/8 lockwasher under the wire terminal to ensure a good connection. Next check the switch. If it proves ok, reverse the relays, if the motor now functions the down relay is bad. Relays are a high current capacity switch and the contacts can get burned to the point where they will not function. Sometimes they stick in the open position also. Relays can be bought at your Mercury dealer, electic supply house or local junkyard in GMC autos. Specifically, those in Buicks are best.
If it was functioning when you put it up for the winter, it is unlikely that the motor has gone bad unless the seal had failed and water was in it. It is much more likely that exposed external wiring has the problem Check all them first. To double check the motor though, remove the connector from the down relay (has the GREEN WIRE) and jump a hot momentarily to the heavy wire connection going to the motor, inside the connector. If the motor runs, it is good.
If the motor is running and the tilt doesn't go down, first make sure the oil level is full. Then try pushing real hard (It takes a lot but can be done) on the engine leg to move it down some. Sometimes this loosens up things and the tilt will now function
 

RRitt

Captain
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
3,319
Re: 85 Force Tilt/Trim

frank is on the money.
check for juice. Assumming that your engine is 1988 or later then jam a test probe into back of green wire on relays. Push "down" switch and see if the probe lights up. Stick probe into blue wire and see if you get juice on "tilt up".

no juice means start looking for circuit breakers, fuses, switches, etc.

juice but no sound means motor got water in it. Maybe you can tap it to dislodge a speck of rust and get it to go. But that doesn't fix your real problem. The motors last forever if you keep water out. even though it is tempting ... don't be spraying wd40 inside your motor. it can combine with dust and make gunk. the gunk can make your motor stop working. If you act early you can clean inside, put in new o-rings, and avoid having to buy $230 motor.
 
Top