'85 90hp vro bogs down at high speed

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry if this is a little long I just want to explain everything well. I bought a 19ft sea nymph on monday with a 1985 90 horse johnson VRO with the oil pump disconnected. Yesterday I went to go on my first fishing trip with the new boat. It took a bit to start up at the dock but once warmed up it seemed to run good and idle good. Left the dock and putted out all running smoothly. Idled up to get on plane and just before it planes out the motor bogs down and only sounds like its running on 2 or 3 cylinders. I can idle it up not on gear but it has a slight miss. So I limp it back to the dock and go home. Pull the plugs and all are dirty but the two passenger side ones are wet. Ok new plugs. Today I go for a test run with the new plugs. Same thing. Idled good at the dock and JUST before the boat planes out it bogs down and seems to only be running on 2-3 cylinders. Plugs are all dirty again. Im guessing it needs a carb cleaning. I pulled some gas out and it looks good and smells like gas. Any ideas?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
If the two plugs are wet, they may not be firing. If they fired, they would be dry. Hard to tell just how many cyls are firing when the engine is idling. Once in gear and under load, you need all 4 plugs firing. Check the spark. That engine has dual power packs, one pack fires two cyls on a head. If you don't have fire on one head, you can swap the power packs.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I could have probably fixed it myself but I decided to take it in. Im tired of messing with motors and running in circles trying to fix them. Ill post what they do to fix it. They said they wont be able to look at it till wednesday at the earliest. The more ive thought about it the more i think its a spark issue, but we'll see.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Also in case anyone wants to see these are the plugs after one trip out. They were BRAND new. Each pair of plugs is one side, i dont remember which side is which though.

Attachments

• photo227780.jpg
    photo227780.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo227781.jpg
    photo227781.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Probably a bad power pack interested to see what it was and how much it cost you.

I have thought that same way once before then I got the bill and have never felt that way again lol

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I told them to call me when they get the issue figured out. Im gonna keep on top of them and if they say its the powerpack and want to charge me up the butt for one ill tell them to wait and ill find one myself. Does anyone have a part number for the powerpack? Quick search on ebay it looks like its only $60-$90 or so.

Ive been lucky with repair bills lately...snowmobile this late winter and 15hp mariner this spring were both under $200 each. Im not feeling as lucky with this one though lol

Last edited:

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes but taking your own parts to a shop don't always settle well with shop owners.

This is true, but so far ive had no issues. And I always have the right to go pick up my boat whenever I please, thats after paying any labor/parts at the time.

Win.308stealth

Recruit
Keep us posted on what is wrong and how much it costs to repair. Sounds like I have the same issue with my '95 115 Johnson.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
582811 has been superceded to 763794. If you come across either, they should work.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just got a call from the shop a little bit ago. Its all fixed. There was a couple issues, none of which I would have guessed. The fuel line from the nipple on the splashwell to the motor had a plastic sleeve on the inside that had deteriorated. It was causing the motor to starve of fuel on high speed. Also he said that whoever took out the oil injection (VRO) had routed the fuel line to the top of the fuel rail instead of the bottom. He said it wasnt a major issue but that the fuel pump isnt made to push fuel that hard, so he re-routed all of that for me and also replaced some gaskets in the fuel pump that were old and falling apart. Total was around $360. Im out of town until monday so wont be able to pick it up until then. He said he took 3-4 laps around the lake and it was running great.

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm glad they got it fixed. Hopefully she'll run great when you finally get to go fishing.