83 Evinrude 90 HP V4 Not Charging

BoatingIsMyLife

Recruit
I have a 1983 Evinrude 90 HP V4 that is not charging. I've replaced the rectifier (and it still tests good) but am not sure how to check the stator without removing it from the motor.

I started the motor and disconnected the battery. The motor seems to want to run all day like this. I checked for voltage at the solenoid and am finding none. Am I testing it wrong? (When I reconnect the battery, I show 12.7 volts at this location.)

I'm also having a starter issue. I bought a new starter, but it seems to be binding up. I tried shimming it (at the top bolt, near the solenoid), but then it doesn't engage. I can put a rope on the motor and start it with one pull, but the starter just doesn't seem to want to work properly. I'm wondering if it is NOT a starter issue, but a battery issue, as I believe the battery is not charging when the motor is running.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The ignition system does NOT use 12 volts from the battery to fire the plugs.-----Do not disconnect battery on a running motor as it may damage the rectifier.