'81 Starcraft pics

Brimauster

Cadet
Well, as promised, here are some pics of my hopefully future project boat. As I stated in my first post from yesterday, I was able to get the seller to keep the engine, dropping the price to $1200. I was unable to talk him down any further. The transom wood looks good, and no flexing when I tried to move the engine. The floor seems okay, but it will get replaced so that I know it is good. The seller says he got it from a small marine repair shop that went out of business. One of the employees was fixing it up for himself, and lost interest, the the place was closed up, and all "assets" were sold at auction. The current owner has no time to finish it. Now all I need to do is come up with 1200 bucks. I'm going to have a friend who has been a boater for years to come give it a look.

Attachments

• DCP04638.JPG
    DCP04638.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DCP04644.JPG
    DCP04644.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DCP04643.JPG
    DCP04643.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DCP04640.JPG
    DCP04640.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 0

reelfishin

Captain
Re: '81 Starcraft pics

Those are nice boats, I've been looking for one myself. So far every one I've seen has been a total wreck, that one don't look that bad. The transoms in those aren't usually too bad, but look close at the upper corners, I've seen a few rotted there.

Depending how it was stored, the floors may not be bad, I wouldn't rip out good wood just because. They are foam filled though, you will be able to tell the condition of the foam by the weight of the boat. The last one I looked at weighed so much from the soaked foam you couldn't move the tongue of the trailer.

I've looked at about 20 or so of them lately around here, they are either total projects, needing everything, overpriced, or have serious hull damage. I want one that's never had any hull damage, I don't want to look at welds or hull patches. I like the lines of those boats and they are super strong.
Around here, salt corrosion is also a concern, and I've seen many that were pitted up so bad that they were nothing but scrap metal.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

here's how i did mine, remove the splashwell, removed the old wood, then cut a 3/4 ply to match the tramsom, seeing you can get it in, i cut it down the center, and slipped each side in. the cut a piece, that would fit between the gunnels, glue and thru bolted. replaced the splashwell, and notice it raise the inside of the splashwell.

MVC-047S.jpg

MVC-025S.jpg

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

$1200 for a 26 year old project boat with no motor sounds a bit steep. Similar boats can be had in my area for under $500, and that usually includes a motor...
- Scott

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a question about your aluminum framing in the bow. How did you make it?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks great Brimauster. I have a smaller closed bow version and would love to have a bowrider. I did my floors and sides they weren't a big deal at all. I need to do my transom and looks like a nightmare. They are nice solid hulls.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Brimauster I also think that $1200 is a little steep, especially if you'll need seats.
In the back (splashwell), I framed-in a door on each side, with a solid panel in the middle. I picked-up some inexpensive locks, so that storage is now (somewhat) secure.
There's a group over at Yahoo!, dedicated to Starcraft Boats. You'll get a lot of great ideas just looking through the pictures.

iwombat
Nice job on that bow. I went a slightly different route, and hinged the lids (seats) on both sides, instead of dealing with that ridiculously small opening so close to the floor. I like that hinged cover over the floor, but mine is full of foam up there.

Marc III

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Td, I'm digging that onboard charger!

iwombat

Captain

I narrowed up the seats up front over the original design to get more floor space. There's not a ton of room underneath, so hinged lids seemed a little overkill. I use the under-seat to hold pfds and cushions and the occasional anchor. So far I don't have any access problems. I plan to add a hinged lid to the center seat, but haven't gotten around to it quite yet.