81 Sea Ray 26 Sedan Bridge I/O to OB Conversion/Restore (Pics)

Re: 81 Sea Ray 26 Sedan Bridge I/O to OB Conversion/Restore (Pics)

I like the idea of a hatch within a hatch. I took some pics with my phone this weekend of my hatch configuration in case it may be halpful to you. Great work so far!

Rear Hatches Open.jpg

Rear Hatches.jpg

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like the idea of a hatch within a hatch. I took some pics with my phone this weekend of my hatch configuration in case it may be halpful to you. Great work so far!

View attachment 160068

View attachment 160069

Thanks for the pics. Definitely helpful. I assume the space taken up by your three hatches is the same as my one hatch since we have the same hull.

I think you said your drainage tracks come out. Do they drain into your main drainage track?

If I do a hatch in a hatch, I would have to provide a separate drain hose.

Last night I responded to a thread about inflatables. That reminded me I may want to throw my 10' rollup dinghy and 15 hp ob down there for trips.

Sea ya...

Interior Sized.JPG

Yep- the drainage tracks come out (they have to in order to remove the motor)- they all drain into the scuppers in the stern. You can barely see each scupper in the top corners or the pics.
The problem with this set up is I have to remove my entire bench seat to get access to the bilge. It is huge (see pic above) and I have no place to store it. If I have to remove it and get down there in a hurry it is almost impossible if there are people in the boat. I have smaller hatches on the side- easier battery access but that is about it. Are you planning on a bench seat in back or leaving the stern open for chairs etc?

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sinct the gunwes on the transom are so high and straight across, I am planning several mods:

1) cut transom gunwales down to cockpit deck level on both ends to make doorways to the swim platform

2) remaining center (just over 4') will be a seat with storage for shore power cord (and recepticle), water hose (and shore wster adapter) 2 fenders, and either space for used garbage bags or for snorkling gear (with drainage). This seat will also house the transom shower unit.

Oddly enough, they just put a old 27' Sea Ray much like yours (only in crap condition) right next to my boat. It has the triple hatches. When I see the owner, I take a look in more detail.

Sea ya...

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Fiberglass Question

I originally bought 1.5 oz csm, 1708, and 8 oz cloth from us composites. Since then, I've bought more csm and more 1708. But I still haven't used any of the 8 oz cloth. What do I use it for? Finish layer? What?

Sea ya...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

cloth75oz.jpg

[SIZE=-2]Medium weight and strength cloth. Used commonly in boat building/repair applications. Good formability and easy wet out.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
7 1/2oz E Glass
[SIZE=-1]Available in widths of 38" and 50"
Plain Weave
Thickness: 0.0107[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[SIZE=-1]Cat No.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Description[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Price / Yard[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FG-C0738[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]38" Width[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Same[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]1 to 9 Yd[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Same[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]10 to 24 Yd[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Same[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]25 or More Yd[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FG-C0738R[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Roll (125yd)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$/Yard[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Cat No.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Description[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Price / Yard[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FG-C0750[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]50" Width[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FG-C0750R[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Roll (125yd)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$/Yard[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
new.gif
[SIZE=-1]Industry Style 7725[/SIZE]
7725-38s.jpg

[SIZE=-1]Highly conformable fiberglass cloth. . Extremely soft weave allows lay-up into the tightest parts. Can be used in many high performance composite parts where good drapability is needed.
Currently available in 38"or 50" width.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
8.5oz 2x2 Twill Fiberglass E Cloth
[SIZE=-1]Style 7725
2x2 Modified Twill Weave
Thickness: 0.0096[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[SIZE=-1]FG-7725-38[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]38" Width[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Same[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]1 to 9 Yd[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$ [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Same[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]10 to 24 Yd[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$ [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Same[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]25 or More Yd[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$ [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FG-7725-38R[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Roll (125yd)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$ /Yard[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FG-7725-50[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]50" Width[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Same[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]1 to 9 Yd[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$ [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Same[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]10 to 24 Yd[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$ [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Same[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]25 or More Yd[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$ [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FG-7725-50R[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Roll (125yd)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$ /Yard[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
cloth85.jpg

[SIZE=-2]Tightly woven, high performance e-glass. High strength to weight ratio. Used mainly in more advanced composite laminates.
(Meets MIL-C-9084 Type 8B, Class 1 and 2 )[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
8.9oz Fiberglass E Cloth
[SIZE=-1]Style 7781
8-Harness Satin Weave
Thickness: 0.0090[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[SIZE=-1]FG-C0850[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]50" Width[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FG-C0850R[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Roll (125yd)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$/Yard[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
cloth85.jpg

[SIZE=-2]Tightly woven satin weave cloth. Virtually identical weave, weight and thread count as our style 7781 8.9oz cloth. This cloth uses S2 fiberglass for high strength applications.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
8.9oz S Glass - Satin Weave
[SIZE=-1]Style 6781
8-Harness Satin Weave
Thickness: 0.0097"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[SIZE=-1]FG-6781-38[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]38" Width[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Same[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]10 to 24 Yd[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Same[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]25 or More Yd[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FG-6781-38R[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Roll (125yd)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]/Yard[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

These are the ones I found at USC...hope this helps, cause I don't know...:confused:

L8r...

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey gt,

I don't think any of these are what I bought. If I remember, mine was on a separate page on their site. Mine is very thin, fragile, pulls easily. It does seem like it shoulds go around corners easily. I'll give it a try. I had thought it was for finish layers, but sounds like everyone uses csm for that.

Sea ya...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Could it be what they call the finishing veil???

This stuff...

veil.jpg
Surfacing Veil
10MIL 38" width. Used to prevent print through on
mold surfaces or in parts. Held together
with binder which dissolves in polyesters resins.
[SIZE=-1]FG-V1038[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]38" Width[/SIZE]

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Could it be what they call the finishing veil???

This stuff...

veil.jpg
Surfacing Veil
10MIL 38" width. Used to prevent print through on
mold surfaces or in parts. Held together
with binder which dissolves in polyesters resins.
[SIZE=-1]FG-V1038[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]38" Width[/SIZE]

Nope! Nothing like that. I looked at us composites web site and I can't find what I ordered. I don't think it was e-glass. So, I don't know what I have.

I was going to get a picture while I was at my storage shed, but realized I didn't have my camera with me. It is a simple cloth, very lights, strands at right angles, pulls the threads too easily. Like I said, probably good around corners. I'll start using it for that.

I guess I could look back at the original invoice to see what I bought.

Sea ya...

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

[h=1]Can?t Stand The Heat[/h]I think I was about to have heat stroke yesterday. Even in the evening it was overwhelming. All I got done was my grinding/rough and scuff. But when I stood up from the last bit of that, I had to sit right back down for a few minutes.

So?. Today, I went to my storage shed and dug out my 2 5k window air conditioners. I?m going to sit them on the bridge and pipe in some cool air. They won?t do the whole job, but will definitely take the edge off.

Sea ya?

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i was thinking of doing the same thing....but i think SWMBO would kill me if i took the window unit out of our bedroom

Trooper82

Commander

I'm sure every little bit will help!

Stay Cool Capt.!

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i was thinking of doing the same thing....but i think SWMBO would kill me if i took the window unit out of our bedroom

LMAO. Probably a common problem.

Sea ya...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Don't go melting on us this close to finishing...make sure you PRE-hydrate before you de-hydrate...

And sorry, adult bevs don't count...:rolleyes:

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

[h=1]Used The 8 Oz Cloth Today - Observations[/h]Despite dodging several rain storms early afternoon, I managed to get some time working out behind the salon today. I had cut three pieces for may water tank support the other day, so I was ready to FG them up. All were ?? ply. One piece was the base support for the tank, 63? x 9?. The other two pieces were the supports for the base (63? x 1? on one end and 2.75? on the other end). This tapering will ensure the forward end of the tank will be slightly higher than the aft end. These supports will be tabbed to the hull to spread the load of the tank.

So, I decided to give the 8 oz cloth a try. I had rounded all the edges of the boards and it seemed like the 8 oz would go around edges easily. I?ve been having trouble getting FG on the edges with CSM. So, worth a try. Besides the edges, I also used it as a smooth (smoother than 1708) layer on the top of the 63? x 9? piece.

The results are mixed. Here are my observations:

• Didn?t use as much resin as 1.5 oz CSM.
  • It did go around my rounded corners and edges easily and laid down well.
  • The edges turned out to be the best looking finish.
  • The weaving at the edges of the cloth would pull out easily and lay on top of the cloth. Couldn?t pull them off without pulling the entire cloth.
  • Didn?t give a smooth surface because random lumps (not air bubbles) formed while curing.
  • Can see that the pattern of the cloth will be visible through the gel coat.
So, bottom line, I will use it for edging, and maybe sometimes where I don?t need the strength or weight of 1708.

Sea ya?

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

It's been awhile since I checked in. Glad to see you are still making some progress. The heat has been almost unbearable this year. Hope you are finding a way to stay cool and hydrated.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's been awhile since I checked in. Glad to see you are still making some progress. The heat has been almost unbearable this year. Hope you are finding a way to stay cool and hydrated.

Having a hard time with the "stay cool and hydrated" part. But trying. Dug out my window A/C units. Trying to work more in the evenings. Etc.

Sea ya...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Light cloth is not used very often in building boats unless you use epoxy, its a product that has a few applications, but overall it's of little value.

Cloth is light and the cost is high, plus it needs to be used with CSM or it will not bond well, this results in a heavy, expensive and relatively weak laminate when compared to 1700 or roving.

Cloth is the curse of the DIY repair crowd, it is sold in every repair kit and along side CSM, resin and other items that are needed. People end up using only cloth to do the repair and then it fails miserably due to the poor bond.