81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

I did make it out, but things have been crazy here and I have not had any time to post them. The video is useless due to the wind. I will try and post tonight.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That is what is nice about the boat, is it beaks that monotony. They are bugging the crap out of me to go out to the lake right now, but it is just too windy around here when we have time. My wife just loves being in the son.

Oh don't give me that :) I was out in the middle of the lake on a jetski heading in that wind only able to do 25mph because the waves were so high the jetski kept cavitating (pump coming out of the water).

If it weren't going to rain this weekend I might have been lucky enough to at least drop mine in the water and get a water line mark for the ski platform.

Protective coves are the way to go as this is going to be a windy summer.

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

system I agree I put my 12' tinny w 6hp rude in one time and went about 40 min up the lake with the wind fished for a few hours and took me almost 4 hours to get back to the launch. Learned my lesson. If it is windy take the big boat.

Friscoboater

Captain

I finally had a chance to sit down an upload some pictures. We had our first family outing last Sunday and it went great. It was a little windy and all the video is trash.

Here are some observations after about 5 hours on the water.

1. The durabak is great and I am so glad I went with it. It is very easy to clean and looks great. The only thing I miss is the sound deadening that the carpet gave. The boat is very "live". I have ordered some more durabak but this time I got some smooth. I dropped some foam and resin on the deck and made some spots, so I am going to recoat.

2. The Drive whines pretty bad under heavy acceleration. I attribute this to the added HP and torque that she has. If the drive goes I will get and SEI model.

3. I have a little vibration at around 2,000 rpm. I do not remember the old motor having that little shake. Under and over it is fine. If I did not know better I would say it was a miss.

4. I cannot set the timing perfect due to the new Harmonic Balancer being marked wrong. The timing tab on the cover is on the port side but the engine is most happy with the mark around the 11 o'clock position. I did some reading and found that some HB were different in the early 80s and the timing tabs were on the starboard side. Has anyone else had this issue? I just set it where it was most happy and does not ping under load.

5. RPM at WOT is perfect at 4,600, and I am hitting around 58 GPS with the four of us in the boat on a stock prop. I wonder if I put the cleaver prop on there what it will do.

6. The foam made the boat much more rigid feeling.

So here are some pictures.

SAM_1089.jpg

SAM_1094.jpg

My daughter caught this crappie on her Barbie fishing pole!!!

SAM_1071.jpg

SAM_1085.jpg

SAM_1088.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the update, glad you are enjoying her! Looking forward to seeing her this summer!

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looks Really good Jay!..Happy to see you and your family out on the water, should be a fun filled summer for your guys.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Frisco glad to hear all your hard work is paying off and you and the family are having a great time!. Viewing the oic of you and your lil girl just mkes me want to get the boat out even sooner my lil girl loves the boat and the water she's fearless but my 15yr old boy realy doesn't care for it as much. Once agian looks great.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Frisco,
Like arch stated it's nice to see you and your family enjoying the boat. You earned it.
She looks great.
Take care
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

My daughter was driving the boat in that picture. We just spent $355.00 at west marine today in new ski equipment.

Does anyone know if you must have flares on your boat?

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

If I remember correctly you must have some sort of signalling device horn,flag and or flares I personally do not have the the flares but do have a signal flag and horn. I believe it varies from state to state but I could be wrong. I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct answer.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I think he is right about state to state. I have been inspected in OK, and there was no flag or flair requirement. They look for the horn (still can't figure out what use it is), throwable float, paddle, and of course life jackets. Easy to spend that much money on ski stuff huh? Glad you guys are enjoying it.

Friscoboater

Captain

When I was at West Marine I saw a list of requirements and that was the only thing I did not have. I grew up here in Texas, and i have never heard of needing flares. We use Airhorns.

parrisw

Ensign

Mandatory around here to have flares for boating in the Ocean, not sure about lakes though. Also have to have some sort of manual baler, and if its a larger boat then something like 14' needs to have a bilge pump, and paddles, horn, of course life jackets, not sure what else.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't THINK you need flares inland.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I's call whoever enforces the lake statues. Here it is the highway patrol, not sure about down there in TX.

You dont need flares just a horn or whistle.

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

You really need to check with your locality to find out the requirements. This is something that is different from state to state. Here in Georgia as well as Alabama we are required to have 2 flare (habd held or areial), paddle, life jackets, first aid kit, Fire extinguisher, and throwable cushion. I think I may be forgetting something but would have to go check on the boat to be sure as I know I am legal. We are not required to have any sort of bailer or even a bilge pump but it is recomended. I have a manual bailer and 2 bilge pumps on both of my boats. They also recommend a flashlight in case you are out at night and have loss of power so you can use the flashlight as a sternlight but this is not required. Yes these are the freshwater, inland lake requirements here.

tallcanadian

Captain

Here you need a bailing container, a sounder such as a whistle or a canned horn. You need a throwable floating rope or ring. Also a waterproof flashlight. And of course lifejackets. Depending on the size of your boat, also bow and stern lights.
Oh yeah, forgot...also paddles or oars.

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

We can all sit here and keep telling him what we need in our area but unless he is boating in our area it will make no difference. Unless there is someone here who lives in his area and knows the boating requirements he will still need to check the boating requirements wherever he will be boating in order to make sure he doesnt get a ticket if and when he is stopped and checked. Here in Georgia and Alabama it is Wildlife management and I am sure it is the same where he is. Every state has a web site and all the requirements will be posted there.