81' 80hp reverse lockout...

8hygro

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am installing a PTT on a previous non-PTT swivel bracket. The reverse lockout rod (#13) was connected to the lockout via a yoke (#15) which was corroded and broke.

I thought PTT installs did not use a mechanical reverse lockout, so I was going to delete all of the associated parts. I have a link below showing a parts diagram with conflicting info. It list parts #12,13,14,15 twice referencing particular serial #'s for thier application with/without a PTT. Once noting serial #'s above a certain serial# and then noting #'s below a certain serial #. My serial number is 5903777.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M...32900/DRIVE SHAFT HOUSING ASSEMBLY/parts.html

I have an extensive parts related background but not Mercury related. Can someone shed some light on what they mean here?

8hygro

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: 81' 80hp reverse lockout...

You do not need any of the reverse lock components when installing PTT. In fact, it could be destructive to leave them in place. If the reverse lock engages when you place the motor into reverse (which it should do) and you attempt to raise the motor with the PTT, something is going to break.

I did the retro install a couple years ago on my '71 Merc 800.

8hygro

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 81' 80hp reverse lockout...

Thanks for the reinforcement. I am thinking the above parts list was actually in error and was never entirely edited for the correction.

8hygro