'81 70hp water flow ?

imported_beck

Seaman
Hi to all,

Replaced water pump and stat on '81 70hp Johnson. Test run it and when engine started pee ing fine would run it wot for a while then when I shut down and was idling no pee ing?? I still had water spitting/coming out of exhaust and I felt the engine and it didn't feel hot. I then shut the engine off and checked the pee tube and end fitting all clear. I start the engine again and it was pee ing run it for a while and again it stop coming out the pee hole?? Again water was comming out of the top exhaust and engine didn't feel hot you could put hand on block for a short while. I again dissembled the indicator tube and didn't find any blockage and when I started the engine it pee ok?? I didn't run too much longer as it was getting late.

Any input would be appreciated.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: '81 70hp water flow ?

You probably got some crude blocking the whole inside the exhaust cover. Try blowing it out with compressed air. This sometimes does the trick.

imported_beck

Seaman

OBJ, thanks for the reply,

I was wondering about that, I thought of removing the fitting that is screwed in the cover which will expose a larger hole to flush trash. How involved is it to remove the cover and try to clean up in there? I would think a new gasket would be needed. How about a sealant of some sort?

Thanks again.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Not involed a lot but I would try removing the plastic fitting first. I've even cranked the engine up with it out and just let it blow for a few seconds.....8) Little messy but it's just water. Save removing the covers as a last resort.

imported_beck

Seaman

10-4, OBJ

I will do like you said and flush w/o the fitting first.

Thanks again