8-9 MPG while towing - expected better

Status
Not open for further replies.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 8-9 MPG while towing - expected better

I've never even heard of someone having gears that low in a street driven vehicle. 4.11 or 4.10 are the standard LOW gearing, and generally mid 70s is about as good as trucks do with those gears.

Hey now... I've got 4:30 gears and my truck will run 115 mph... and it gets nearly 18 mpg on the highway. :)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

too bad the best parts of my ford were made by dana and international...

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

too bad the best parts of my ford were made by dana and international...

Well, that's always the way. I love my old 12v Cummins...but Cummins definitely made the best part of the truck...the challenge is getting the rest of it to last. :)

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Hey now... I've got 4:30 gears and my truck will run 115 mph... and it gets nearly 18 mpg on the highway. :)

But you've got an 18 speed in it, right? ;)

AT777

Recruit

Go to the semi island and get #1 diesel. Usually #2 is OK; #1 costs more but it is like buying premium gasoline. I filled up once in texas and got a bad batch of #2 and I could tell immediately that it was awful fuel.

I'd say that if you get your boat on the water, it's worth the fuel to get it there.

Best of luck.

D
#1 fuel is winter blend fuel. It has less BTU energy than #2. Lower fuel mileage is realized using #1.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This thread is over a year dead, AT777. Please do not hijack or reply to old, dead threads.

Thanks for your cooperation. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.