78 Starcraft, V5-22, What do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 78 Starcraft, V5-22, What do I have?

The engine cover is the last of the wood and carpet!! I think what I have come up with to replace that wooden carpeted box is the heart and soul of this resto. It was expensive, but it just makes sence in my mind. I haven't seen this done before but I do see it happening in the future for some other boat owner.
5 speed

OK, you got my curiosity piqued. I guess you want us to guess what you have planned? I'll go exotic. Cover framed in aluminum tubing, sheathed in carbon fiber, maybe with a window on top so you can check out that Ford V8 doing it's thing. Sorta like a Ferrari...
ferrari-f430-scuderia-1.jpg

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL, yeah I wanted some guesses. . . Is is all aluminum, no window though. I will have to modify it slightly from its intended use to fit over my engine.

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

:mad: I just got an email for my Gluvit order being cancled! I've been on them all week about my order. They told me 3 times it's ready to ship. I told them Friday if it didn't ship that I was cancling the order on Monday! Well they beat me to it. FYI Boaters.com. . . never agian! I ordered 2 Gallons from JMS marine supply, thanks Jim for the tip, for 64.00 less than if I got it from the other guys. I just have to wait a few days is all. . .

5 speed

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

:mad: I just got an email for my Gluvit order being cancled! I've been on them all week about my order. They told me 3 times it's ready to ship. I told them Friday if it didn't ship that I was cancling the order on Monday! Well they beat me to it. FYI Boaters.com. . . never agian! I ordered 2 Gallons from JMS marine supply, thanks Jim for the tip, for 64.00 less than if I got it from the other guys. I just have to wait a few days is all. . .

5 speed

JMS was great for me! Cheap and lightning fast for my order! I bet you'll have your stuff by Wed.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I started cleaning off the dreadfull carpet adhesive off the side walls! I use MPK daily at work(MEK's better brother) and don't want to fool with that plus it's kinda expensive @ 14 bucks a gallon. I used my Mouse sander and 50 grit paper and it was a steady progress. I finished one side and most of the transom, inside and out, in 4 hours.

sidewall.jpg

sidewall1.jpg

It's ready to wipe and prime. I'm using the Ultra Tuff marine roll on primer and paint product. I want to do the inside side walls before I put in the powder coated flooring.

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

We could be sneaky that way :D. A super sport would have had dual consloes from the factory . A mariner would have had a single center console from the factory if you do infact have a super sport you have what many of us consider the holy grail :D a 22' SS.

Rick

Hey look what I found way up underneath the side wall under the carpet and glue!

supersport.jpg

supersportIOV-5.jpg

How crazy is this find!

5 speed

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

we need CSI to do a hand writing anylisis here!!!!

5speed, holy grail, sharpie. Hmmm!

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lmao! I didn't sand it off when I cleaned the side. I am going to leave it because it is one of the few identifying features of the boat. I can't hardly read the data tag any longer from it fading. I'm just currious as to it's roots. I haven't seen any other starcraft boat like it anywhere! :confused:

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got my 3 USCG approved fuel hoses and 2 gallons of Gluvit today!! Now I can work on under the floor stuff and get my aluminum floor in!

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I'll get a full day in tomorrow before the weather hits on mothers day! I picked up a brand new Morse throttle assembly off ebay for cheap and my engine cover shipped today!!

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did get alot done. I am going to start adding rivets in between the others on the front and down the sides for reinforcement. I think there is too much flexing causing the rivets to loosen up. The aluminum floor will make the hull more ridgid. I decided to put one bilge pump in front of the fuel tank and one in back. Water seems to want to sit in front of the fuel tank and drain slowly to the rear. I am thinking there is foam under the length of the tank to help support the weight.

cleaned up interior.jpg

5 speed

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

That... is going to be one sweet deck...can't wait to see it!

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it will really look nice too. My 2 boys are coming out for summer breakto be with me so they will be a huge help to me on the boat project. I go in for surgery wednesday morning early. I'll be in there for 3 days so I'll post when I get back home. I still have my engine cover in the back of my truck. I couldn't get anybody to guess on it so I'll just tell you that it is a "2 Dog Box" ... AKA in the boating world as a dog house. That will complete my getting rid of the wood theme and function w style. I guess now I am officially considered a "Red Neck"!

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well after 2 visits to the hospital I am back! Here is the "Dog House" engine cover I bought for my restoration. It has a full locking storage compartment on the top. Louvers on the front and side for ventilation and the front doors lock! What do you all think?

Engine dog house.jpg

5 speed

sprintst

Commander

Holy smokes man. That thing is slick. That think is going to last forever. Is that custom built.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Holy smokes man. That thing is slick. That think is going to last forever. Is that custom built.

No it's a 2 hunting dog box. I got the size that will cover my engine and accessories and it's just a little bigger that the original plywood box that covered the engine before. I am going to cut out the partition and most of the bottom so that is sits over the engine. I'm also looking at this ceramic spray product called lizzard skin to insulate the interior from noise and heat.
I think it will be over the top with my all aluminum floor!!

5 speed

Triton II

Commander

No it's a 2 hunting dog box. I got the size that will cover my engine and accessories and it's just a little bigger that the original plywood box that covered the engine before. I am going to cut out the partition and most of the bottom so that is sits over the engine. I'm also looking at this ceramic spray product called lizzard skin to insulate the interior from noise and heat.

5 speed

Wow... tin city! :D

TII

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

A little diamond plate aluminum never hurt anybody!! It might not be a see through engine cowl on a high performance car... but it'll work!

5 speed

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

5 speed

Not sure how it compares to Lizard Skin but this is also a paint on product that works well:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|302333&id=532535

Of course nothing works as well as this:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|302333&id=96141

I had to quiet down a 3cyl diesel auxiliary on a racing sailboat and the second link did an amazing job where other methods failed.

I would recommend using the paint on products to augment a leaded vinyl/foam barrier. The unfortunate reality is that to deaden sound you need mass and a paint on coating just isn't capable of comparing to a 1in thick leaded vinyl/foam barrier.

Huron Angler

Admiral

That is gonna be one sweet doghouse, great idea. Can't wait to see this thing when your done with it, it will be quite a custom rig with none on the water like it:)

Status
Not open for further replies.