78 Sleekcraft Aristocrat Project... thoughts?

cash68

Cadet
First, pics:

26249_507073669216_107500324_30251165_6512518_n.jpg

26249_507073674206_107500324_30251166_5086334_n.jpg

26249_507073684186_107500324_30251168_7857159_n.jpg

1978 Sleekcraft Aristocrat. 350 small block. Unknown lower unit (anybody ID that for me if you can, it would help a lot!)

Guy contacted me about it, because I put an ad looking for a "cool" boat. He bought it for $1200, with an extra bravo one lower unit. The previous owner did nothing to the thing. The owner before THAT, had the engine rebuilt, installed, but could not figure out the firing order, and gave up. Yes, it DOES RUN, the guy had it running 2 weeks ago, and one of the exhaust manifolds was leaking, so he spent $200 on another used set, and a marine alternator. Beat looking, but supposedly pretty fresh engine.

The interior is shot. The gauges are beat, the floor is soft in between the tunnels, the seats are intact but the vinyl is extremely hard, and the steering and shift cables are inoperable. The stringer along the keel of the boat is rotten. Not sure if that is structural or what?

The exterior is extremely glossy, and will buff out no problem. The deck is firm. There are small, hairline cracks between the hull and the cap on the left side. The stern has a massive crack right above the transom... this initially worried me, but I drilled a small hole in the transom from the inside, and it seems very rigid. I also pulled the bolts out of the trim tabs, and the wood was "okay". I'm guessing that the crack is from TOWING innertubes or something, because the fiberglass above the transom, but below the towing hook, is very thin. That makes sense to me, and would explain the crack.

The stern drive is what I am concerned with. Why did the PO have a Bravo one? How much power can the current stern drive handle? I know for SURE it needs new bellows. Any idea on pricing for those? Also, pricing for the steering/shift cables? If the lower unit turns out to be garbage, how much is a replacement?

Definitely LOVE the style of the boat. LOVE it. It's a little ratty, but I've restored boats before, so not scared of it either. Guy is asking $1000obo. I'm thinking that is a steal. Thoughts? Experiences? Ideas?

Currently the plan is to throw plywood over the floor, bolt in the seats after a good scrubbing, and sort out the mechanical stuff before tackling the floor/fiberglassing the thing. Seem like a good idea?

slf16

Cadet
Re: 78 Sleekcraft Aristocrat Project... thoughts?

Time and money is what i see.How bad do you want it?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

That is a cool hull, but it needs some work. I would suspect it needs a rebuild from top to bottom, its a lot of work, (and money). I just about have mine done, and it didn't have a motor (outboard) and had a tree growing in it! Hopefully you will restore her, it could be a great boat!

phildean

Recruit

I have a 78 Sleekcraft Aristocrat tunnel, its been a fun project so far. Did you end up buying it?

dew79350

Recruit

I would love to talk to you about this boat. I was reading that it came from Florida... I used to own one that was red "original color" with a 350 chevy and a volvo pento 230 outdrive. I called the number for the guy I sold it to back in 2008 but the people that answered the phone said the guy disappeared and the boat was sitting in the yard but was not willing to do anything with it. I was never able to find it and buy it back. But it this is the boat, the outdrive was definitely switched to a merc... Anyways, these are awesome boats and it is hard as hell to find them. When I do, rest assured, I will buy another!