77' 16ft Starcraftt ss

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
If the bow light has 1 black and one white wire, which is power and ground?

White goes to the top of the bulb.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Power feeds the center of the socket which matches to the nubbin on the center of the bulb. The outer part of the socket is ground. Always!

bulb.PNG

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Power feeds the center of the socket which matches to the nubbin on the center of the bulb. The outer part of the socket is ground. Always!

My bulb isnt like that one. Its a tube with pointy caps on top and bottom. Ill post a pic when the admiral is done with the lap top.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
here it is. this is the original bulb, not the led one I tried but its the same shape as this one.
20160227_132108_resized.jpg

Last edited:

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
So looking into it, im needing a deep cycle agm marine battery, Do you guys break bank for the high cost ones or can you get away with low cost ones? tell me what ya got and use for your trollers and accessories!

Cranking battery will come when I get a motor.

I use ever start batteries from Walmart. (One for the starting battery and 2 for the trolling motor) Mine were manufactured by Johnoson Contolls, but I hear they can also be rebranded Exide batteries.
They are inexpensive and offer great return policy.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I think navigation light positive is officially supposed to be dark gray, using ABYC standards, but there's very few of us methinks that follow the codes as written. That kind of lamp and fixture aren't really polarized anyway and I'm sure the fixture wasn't certified to any particular standard. So, here's what I would do. I'd use the black as negative and extend it back to the negative strip using black wire. I'd use whatever wire is available for a contrasting color to extend the white wire back to the nav switch.
If the LED is shaped as you're shown, it may fit in either way, though it will only work one way. LED's will allow current to flow and will light up only when they've got the correct polarity. If it's installed backwards, it won't light, it will block all current flow, but nothing will be damaged. So, put the LED in whatever way is convenient and if it doesn't work, turn it around in that double ended socket ya got. And if it still doesn't work, get that meter out again. - Grandad

GA_Boater

What Grandad said, g0ne. No difference unless you use a LED bulb.

Is the base plastic and not metal? In that case, it doesn't matter because the plastic won't possibly be grounded to the tin boat.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Its a plastic base. chromish/metal top. I guess I got lucky when I first tried the led in it. Its Bright as all get out, but I didnt have the red/green cover on. The led might have been too bright to show the colors. need to get a battery before I drive myself crazy over here.

Ill be working from monday to saturday this week so not much going to be happening on the boat.

I may just pick up a new bow light anyway since this one does show some corrosion on the terminals. we will see.

GA_Boater

Why are you letting work get in the way of boat building?

Oh, you still need a motor. :eek: Any luck on that front?

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Why are you letting work get in the way of boat building?

Oh, you still need a motor. :eek: Any luck on that front?

Gonna be in the field playing Soldier in woods Monday through Saturday. I texted someone today on a 90 hp yamaha that had a bad top end (my dad has a good top with no lower unit). Waiting to hear what year it is and if its a 20 inch shaft. I keep my eye out and wait for something to jump at me.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
So looking into it, im needing a deep cycle agm marine battery, Do you guys break bank for the high cost ones or can you get away with low cost ones? tell me what ya got and use for your trollers and accessories!

Cranking battery will come when I get a motor.

Anything? walmart deep cycles might be where I end up

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I've used all different brands of deep cycle batteries over the years and have NONE of them stand out in my mind as being better than the other, including WalMart batteries. I used the group 27 for my trolling motor and 24 for the start.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I've used all different brands of deep cycle batteries over the years and have NONE of them stand out in my mind as being better than the other, including WalMart batteries. I used the group 27 for my trolling motor and 24 for the start.

Thanks wmann, I was wondering what BCI meant and just looked that up.

What about volt/amp monitor guages? think one of those is worth adding in to know the state of the batteries in the boat?

GA_Boater

A volt gauge is good, amp gauge not so much. I say that because a volt gauge can be connected to almost any power wire. An amp gauge is connected between the the battery positive and the output of the regulator or rectifier and not really all that easy to do. The volt gauge will tell you is the battery voltage is stay in the charged range.

I use Wally's batteries. For the money spent on an upmarket battery that lasts the same amount of time or a little more, I just don't see it worth the price. I'm a cheapskate! :smile:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Good point on the meter GA, so now im looking at getting a deep cycle, probably two battery volt monitors for the eventual cranking battery, and maybe even a two or three bank on board battery charger for maybe an eventual 24v trolling motor. one thing at a time though. Deep cycle battery and at least one volt monitor.

No text back from the guy with the 90 yamaha. guess that means its been sold. back to searching. there have been a few 88 spl's near me recently. Although over the 85 max rating, how much does that really affect having our boats insured?

Watermann

Before I took the Chief out for it's maiden voyage I called Jake from State farm and my local agent came out to look her over. He insured the boat and never said a word about the 205 HP V6 in an 18' tin boat :lol:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I haven't commented on batteries, cuz I don't have a trolling motor or experience with them. But, to answer your question, I have a pair of identical, same age, group 27 deep cycle, flooded, Costco batteries. I figured deep cycle simply because during long winter storage I might forget to do routine charging (though I haven't). The batteries have enough cranking power that I don't need a characteristic "starting" battery. I run on one battery at a time and occasionally alternate using the battery switch to make sure both are dependable. If/when one fails, I'll replace both at the same time. KISS.

In regard to your voltmeter; if your intent is to have an accurate reading on the battery, I'd suggest that you put the voltmeter near the battery, not fed from a common source that you might find if you were to mount it on the dashboard. I figure dashboard voltmeters, though handy to see, will accurately only tell you what voltage is available at the dash, but can't tell you exactly what the battery state is when other things are turned on. As you may find out, the voltage at the dash varies depending upon how much current is being used by other dashboard fed equipment. That said, I don't even have a volt gauge. It's not something I'll ever monitor unless I notice an issue, then I'll track that down with a multi-meter. - Grandad

GA_Boater

I would guess g0ne's battery and gauges are near each other. In a larger boat - Good idea.

Watermann

This might be what you're looking for, it has models for up to 4 batteries that you can select to display it's charge state. batterygauge.jpg

Last edited: