76 Glastron v162 (04-04-2007 Update)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: 76 Glastron v162 (11-19-2006 Update w PICS)

Looking real good JMW. A real stem to stern transformation. Can hardly wait to see it with the deck bolted back on.

What is the difference between wax and no wax Gel Coat? And why are you doing it by taped off sections?

i386

Captain

Great work. It's good to see some progress made this time of year.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Looks like a very complete restore, Kudo's and as to shooting that gel......it's not really that tough is it?........ I've been seriously thinking about pulling up the carpet in this new boat i have and doing the floor with gel.

woody20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mr Will the project is coming along really good. In the last picture is that the boss sticking their head in making sure the job gets done, and not find you drinkin beer and watching the pats game?

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Boomyal said:
What is the difference between wax and no wax Gel Coat? And why are you doing it by taped off sections?

WAxed vs No-wax:
No-wax will not cure completely and will leave a tacky surface. It is used for the first coats on a multi coat application. You do not need to sand between coats. (Actually...you cant sand between coats because it will gum up the sandpaper too much). Waxed is the final coat...or if you only use waxed...you have to sand between coats. It will also go on thinner so I wanted to used the no-waxed to build up thickness a bit.

The taped off sections:
At first I was only going to re-gelcoat the middle section of the hull. It had some pretty big gouges and scrapes. I was going to roll on white and just call it done. After thinking about it awhile..I decided that I wanted to to the entire bottom of the boat but not the sides. That it where I am at right now. I am trying to match the original color so I dont have to re-gel the entire boat.

Once I get the bottom done...I am going to flip it back over...and if I need to, I can alway gel the sides and top at a later date.

Thanks for the encouragement.

-JMW

JustMrWill

Tail_Gunner said:
Looks like a very complete restore, Kudo's and as to shooting that gel......it's not really that tough is it?........ I've been seriously thinking about pulling up the carpet in this new boat i have and doing the floor with gel.

Shooting gel - so far it has been a breeze. I am using 4oz acetone/quart gel to thin the gel...I am mixing everything except the hardener in a mixing cup first...getting the color to where I am happy...then pouring it into the sprayer cup...adding hardener and shooting. It took alittle playing with the adjustments to get it to spray how I wanted it. I am very impressed with the outcome so far (this is my first attempt at painting anything with a gun).

Merton (from Mertons.com) had a great idea for gelcoating the floor with a no-skid texture. Put down 1 coat smooth. Tape off an area that you want textured. Mix up some gelcoat with cabasol to a ketchup consistancy. Roll on to taped off area. You will end up with an intense orange peel effect. He had a sample he did and it looks like what I want. I don't like carpet in boats...they always end up moldy and smelly.

-JMW

JustMrWill

woody20 said:
Mr Will the project is coming along really good. In the last picture is that the boss sticking their head in making sure the job gets done, and not find you drinkin beer and watching the pats game?

That is my 2 year old puppy Cosmo. He is only about 100 lbs of love. He doesn't mind me drinking beer...as long as I am throwing a ball/stick with my free hand.

-JMW

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now THAT's some good kelping!

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Looks nice. Hope the weather holds for you.

JustMrWill

Re: 76 Glastron v162 (04-04-2007 Update)

Alright. It's spring...and we are now expecting snow tomorrow.

Update so far:

Winter was mild but not warm enough to do anything to boat until last week. I wet sanded the bottom with 600 grit then 1000 grit. It looks nice..not perfect...but I was afraid that I would sand through the new gelcoat. I probably could sand it alittle more but...why chance it.

Sorry - I have no pictures (daughter borrowed camera and I haven't seen it since).

I built a new support cradle and flipped it over. Once we get another warm spell, I will be installing the transom.

-JMW

JustMrWill

Ok....got my camera back so I went out and took some pictures before work today. Bottom got alittle dirty from the ran splatter but this should give you an idea of my results.

I only wet-sanded the bottom (below the boweye). I will sand/buff the sides when I have the boat back together.

100_1979s.JPG

100_1980s.JPG

100_1981s.JPG

I will update my shareaproject thread with the full-size pictures so you can zoom in.

Thanks for looking.

-JMW

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I have a v162 a few years older than yours. Probably early 70s. When I first bought it the transom was mushy and delaminating. I cut off the fiberglass cap and used Git Rot on it and was surprised and happy. the transom is better than new. Old Glastrons were notorious for rotted floors and my 162 is no exception. Maybe this summer--- Also, the hulls were ok but the topsides were a little thin. Light fast boats, good looking, used in James Bond Live and Let Die and also one other JB picture I can't remember. I had the 14 foot model that went into the pool, the 15 footer (71 Still have it--first date with wife) and The V162. I like them.

JustMrWill

the hulls were ok but the topsides were a little thin.

I noticed that also...when I first got the boat...stepping onto the bow made me REAL nervous. I could feel it give some. I want to add a layer or two of glass to the underside of the deck before I put it back on...just to be sure.

-JMW

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

hmmm I dunno Will. I think your best course of action is to put this project aside and head about 5 minutes North and help me do the transom on a Classic Glassmaster! (any typos are courtesy of dewars and a loooong week)

JustMrWill

Re: 76 Glastron v162 (06-25-2007 Update)

Re: 76 Glastron v162 (06-25-2007 Update)

Ok...been awhile since I posted. Didn't have access to a camera so missing some in-between steps. Check out my project page in my link for some stringer pictures (click on the sub topics)

I installed stringers, glued and screwed the floor down...drilled 2" holes and pours 2 part foam under. I resined, laid mat, tabbed in with woven roven then covered with cloth. Here is the results:

100_1996s.JPG

100_1997s.JPG

100_2000s.JPG

100_2009s.JPG

I decided to put it back on the trailer and move it since the nearby tree dropped tons of stuff into the boat. Lucky for me..the resin had already set up.

100_2010s.JPG

Next steps...
1. Finish bilge area (sand, fair, lay mat/cloth)
2. Sand down and bumps etc.
3. Spray gelcoat.
4. Put top back on.
5. Roll thickened gelcoat for textured finish
6. Mount motor. (do electrical work at this time)
7. Float test (make sure of balance)
play it by ear from this point on. I am running out of money/time so I probably will not re-wire entire boat..just needed items...save the rest for the winter.
Seating will be determined by float test...want to keep it as level as possible.

I will keep you all updated.

-JMW

JustMrWill

Ok...since I am getting an overwhelming response to this thread (yup, that is sarcasm) I am just going to post links to my shareaproject page. It is too much trouble uploading the pictures to my website then inserting the images here.

*Cap on...had to cut out the back of the splashwell to make it fit. Fiberglassed it back in. Tons of sanding to try to make it look nice....came out good..not perfect...but I am not too worried.

*Gelcoat is done (sort of). I want to roll one more coat on the floor to fill some cloth texture "bleed through"

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,306,00.html

*Rubrail is installed. Corner trim pieces are almost done getting polished back up.
http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,387,00.html

*Transom is done. All holes for the motor mount bracket are drilled. I have to drill the holes for the tilt/trim motor (once I get the bracket welded and painted).

I'll continue to update my shareaproject pages and this thread until I am done.

-JMW

redfury

Commander

Looks awesome. I'm hoping to be where you are at sometime next year at the latest.

I'm currently taking the old transom wood out ( redwood if you can believe that! ). It's tough going with a dull chainsaw, so I've quit until I get the chain sharpened...just bought a couple of new files. It's definetely hard work, but it is certainly worth the effort. I am surprised to see how solid the actual wood was. it was mostly just delaminated from the hull. There is only one part that was truely bad that I've gotten too, and that was the drivers side at the edge of the bilge...must have been where most of the water entered. The wood is definitely wet about 3 inches up from the drain hole. Not that big of a deal...it's coming out anyway.

I really need to start collecting fiberglass and resin and tools so when I get this ready to go, I can get going.

JustMrWill

Thanks. I am getting real anxious now. I just put my first coat of primer on the motor bracket. If I wasn't going on vacation tomorrow, I would have the motor on this weekend. I then get to try to figure out the wiring :eek:

This has definitely taken me A LOT longer than I first guessed. The biggest time eater is not having a garage or barn or something to work in. I come home from work, uncover it, get the tools and materials, actually work on it for 1-2 hours, then have to put everything away again when it gets dark or it starts to rain.

Well, it atleast looks like a boat again. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the support.

-JMW

JustMrWill

UPDATE:

Everything looked great when I covered her for the winter. Uncovered her and was real disappointed in the gelcoat on the floor and splashwell. I have cracking and crazing. I was planning on putting another coat before installing interior and seats..

Not gonna happen. I don't have the time or money to re-do the work. I took her out on the lake last week (no seats/windshield etc) after rebuilding fuel pump and carbs and she ran fantastic.

I am going to throw some seats in and mount the throttle control and use her for the season. I have a friend in NJ that will paint her for very little (he restores boats professionally). I may have to trailer her down to him this winter.

Camera broken...so no updated pictures yet.

-Will

static_engineer

Recruit

Wow, this is an awesome thread!! I only wish it was still alive! I'd love to see the finished project. I purchased a 1973 V-162 and it looks like the transom is rotted, and the floor is spongy near the rear of the boat (sorry I'm new to boats so no nautical terms). Anyway, I'm going to attempt to repair it and this thread will hopefully help a bunch.