75 OMC 235 low WOT

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Still struggling with the getting the engine running properly. The problem is it doesn't seem to have any top end power and won't go past 2100 RPM. I've read the "low WOT" stickies and the carb troubleshooting page from the service manual but I'm hoping to narrow the cause down before I put it in the water again.

Here's what I believe is NOT the problem:

1) Prop is the same one it's always had with no previous issues.
2) Tune-up was just done and dwell/timing was double-checked. Had the same issue before the tune-up.
3) Gas is good, drained all the old stuff before I ran it and have put at least 50 gallons through it so far.
4) Fuel filter element has been changed twice (looked clean both times, no water either)
5) Flame arrestor is clean
6) Inspected the entire exhaust system, no restrictions (no flappers either, never had them)
7) Throttle linkage is OK, last few inches of lever travel are just "dead", no change in engine pitch.

Clues:

1) The engine purrs like a kitten. No misfires, no roughness, no hesitation, no surging, just won't go over 2100 rpm.
2) I rebuilt the carb and very carefully matched all the new gaskets to the old ones. Set the float bowl levels, both bowls (4 bbl Holley 4160) have gas in them.
3) After the tune-up didn't fix the problem I pulled the carb off and double checked all the gaskets (I had kept all the old ones) and checked all the orfices in the secondary metering plate. Everything looked good but I remembered that it had originally used an open throat gasket under the carb even though the manifold was a four-holer. I had put a four-hole gasket on after the rebuilt so I took it out and replaced it with a new open throat one. When I put it in the water for a test run afterwards it was good! Blew right past 2100 rpm and seemed to have lots of throttle left when it hit 3000 rpm but the water was too rough to open it right up. I though I had it beat but the next time out (yesterday, on calm water) it still hung up at 2100 rpm.
4) I visually confirmed that the secondaries are opening but can't tell if they are opening far enough.
5) No gas in the sight bowl on the fuel pump.

Clue #1 and #3 are the ones that have me stumped. I don't think it was just the rough water helping to get it on plane that day as it also seemed to have the good old "get up and go" again but it has been 22 years since I drove it so not 100% sure.

So, any comments on which of the potential causes of low WOT would manifest themselves with a smooth running engine and fit with the other clues?

Thanks in advance to the experts here, this site is almost as good as actually being on the water!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: 75 OMC 235 low WOT

Have you confirmed that the throttle is wide open and the choke plate is full open? Is the hull clean?. Is your tach accurate? Have you checked the color of your plugs after a full throttle run?

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, so no psychic marine techs around, fair enough. After pondering this for a few days I've narrowed it down to somewhere between the fuel tank and the main jets. A problem with the secondaries would leave me short 20 horses or so but not leave me hanging at 2100 rpm like that. Also, having the top end of the throttle range not make any change in engine pitch definitely indicates a fuel problem since the exhaust and flame arrestor have both been ruled out. Next step is hooking up the compound gauge, testing the fuel pump and running the steps in the "Testing Your Boats Fuel System" sticky. For that I need to splash the boat so might be a couple of weeks til I get a chance. Here's hoping for something simple to fix!

Maclin

Admiral

To me the symptoms seem like points gap/dwell not correct, or points spring weak or not installed correctly, or not exactly correct points set. Could also be mechanical advance mechanism stuck.

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To me the symptoms seem like points gap/dwell not correct, or points spring weak or not installed correctly, or not exactly correct points set. Could also be mechanical advance mechanism stuck.

Easy enough to re-check the dwell. It had the same issue before I replaced the points but running rough too. Now its as smooth as can be at all RPMs. The advance looked good when I set the timing but again, easy enough to re-check that also.

The other "clue" I forgot to mention was this boat hasn't run for 22 years so I'm leaning towards a plugged tank vent (I wish I would have thought to pop the gas cap off the last time I was out!) or some crud in the fuel system somewhere restricting the flow. It just runs so well between 500-2100 rpm. That's why I'm leaning towards a fuel delivery problem but at this point I'll test everything!

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update:

I've been chipping away at this all summer and methodically ruling out all the possible causes of low WOT. Last weekend we trailered to an out-of-town lake and I stopped at the scales to get the weight of the boat, trailer, and gear. Today I finally found a reliable estimate for the factory dry weight of the boat and did the math:

2600# dry weight
_900# engine and drive
_100# fresh water tank 1/2 full
_100# gas tank nearly full
_100# batteries
1000# trailer
-------
4800# estimated weight (not including camping gear)

6000# actual weight (not including tongue weight)

Assuming the camping gear and the tongue weight more or less cancel that leaves 1200 pounds unaccounted for. Nameplate max capacity is only 2000# so its no wonder it struggles to get on plane. Even with a generous margin for error in the estimated weight that's still a lot of weight unaccounted for. The only thing it could be is waterlogged flotation foam which is hardly surprising for an almost 40 year old boat.

I had originally ruled that possibility out just on the basis of how high the hull rides in the water (compared to my recollection from 20 years ago) but the numbers don't lie. I'm already planning to replace the floor and foam in the spring so I really won't know for sure until next season but I think I've finally found the smoking gun here! Maybe waterlogged foam should be added in parenthesis to #12 in the "possible causes of low wot" list...

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Yep, an extra 1700 lbs or so, would sure put the brakes on. I have a fairly lightweight 20 ft runabout with a 5.0 V8 and 30 gal of gas. If I added 1700 lbs of passengers and gear, it would be a real wallowing dog.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Drill a test hole now and see if you can get it all out before next season

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, after I replaced the deck and foam on the side with the soft spot I found there was some, but not very much, water. The culprit eventually ended up being... ((drum roll))... the fuel pump. I had a spare all along but it did run and the sight glass was empty so what else could go wrong? In hindsight I guess the diaphragm can get weak or stretched and not be able to deliver enough fuel? Anyways, out of desperation I swapped out the pump for the new one and voila. Power to spare and it goes faster than I ever want to go in a boat that big. Yes, I know that's number 11 on the "Low WOT Throttle" sticky. Yes, I know I said I was going to check the fuel pressure in 2013 but I wasn't able to get my hands on a compound gauge. And the extra weight? I've decided that old tandem axle roller trailer weighs a LOT more than 1000 pounds...

Life is good (now!)

Bondo

Staff member
Anyways, out of desperation I swapped out the pump for the new one and voila. Power to spare and it goes faster than I ever want to go in a boat that big. Yes, I know that's number 11 on the "Low WOT Throttle" sticky. Yes, I know I said I was going to check the fuel pressure in 2013 but I wasn't able to get my hands on a compound gauge. And the extra weight? I've decided that old tandem axle roller trailer weighs a LOT more than 1000 pounds...

Life is good (now!)

Ayuh,..... Glad to hear it,...... Don S was a smart ole salt that knew enough to leave Us some of 'is knowledge,....