Looking to restore a 60's Starcraft...which one?

daveogiboat

Cadet
I am looking to restore a 60's Starcraft 15-18 foot and would like some ideas for what models to look for:

1) Fiberglass or Aluminum? Which is best to restore (easiest, best results, stands up to time)?
2) What to look for when searching? (What is hard to replace, seats, windshield, wheel, controls...)?
3) What model will turns some eyes?
4) What did you pick and like about your Starcraft (and which do you wish you had)?

Thanks for any advice!!!
Dave O

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Looking to restore a 60's Starcraft...which one?

You need to outline exactly how you plan to use the boat in order to get a recommendation. There is a big difference between what you do with a 15' compared to an 18 footer.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Aluminum definitely. Easier to restore and as far as I'm concerned, Starcraft's tinnys are something special while their glass boats, while good boats, were nothing special. As mentioned above, what model you choose really depends on what you want to use it for. Their cabin boats are particularly unique looking.

daveogiboat

Cadet

I am thinking a 15'-16' outboard runabout.

Looking at the Aluminum vs Fiberglass...are some models Aluminum bottom and glass top? Looking at pictures online, some of the Aluminum look as nice as the glass (nice flowing shape).

What is easier about Aluminum vs glass restoration?

bananaboater

Ensign

1) Fiberglass or Aluminum? Which is best to restore (easiest, best results, stands up to time)?
2) What to look for when searching? (What is hard to replace, seats, windshield, wheel, controls...)?
4) What did you pick and like about your Starcraft (and which do you wish you had)?

Yup, first ? What do you want to do? How many folks do you want to accommodate? How big is your tow vehicle? How deep are your pockets?

Aluminum is the way to go. Getting original parts for older boats is not easy. After a year I am still looking for an original working speedometer that I am not outbid on.

If you get an older one (eye turning?) the decking will likely need to be replaced and perhaps the transom. Paint may need attention. Any dents will be difficult to get out. Below water line OK but above?

I went looking for a runabout with eye appeal for me. Needed to be fairly complete knowing parts are hard to find. Not too big, 18 max. Just 2 of us and we don't fish. I paid too much compared to others but seller would not come down and I did not have to paint (yet).

Are you adept at many hand crafts? Wood working, painting, aluminum fabrication, mechanics, electrical, etc.

Rehabbing a boat is rewarding and challenging and time consuming. You will likely not get your money or time back out of it. But it is FUN.

daveogiboat

Cadet

bananaboater,

Thanks for the great reply. Very useful information...

I would like it to carry 4 adults. I have the money to put in it, as long as it is the right boat and will last. I have a dock and towing is no problem.

I am handy with wood and mechanics, but a little worried about doing a paint job well. Does the Aluminum paint polish OK, so no paint (if is good shape for the age)?

What are the advantages Aluminum over Fiberglass? (Less fading? Can repaint? Easier to repair, does not crack)? I have never worked on an old boat before...

Thanks Dave O

Huron Angler

Admiral

I am looking to restore a 60's Starcraft 15-18 foot and would like some ideas for what models to look for:

Thanks for any advice!!!
Dave O

1. I prefer aluminum for it's lightweight nature and durability. Low maint too.

2. Look for a hull that is not dented first and foremost. Dents are difficult to deal with as mentioned. Obviously you don't want holes either but they can be fixed easier than dents. Having the original bow and stern light is nice as well as the Starcraft logos(they can be purchased on ebay though).

3. All starcrafts can be restored to turn some heads. The Chieftain cuddy is the sweetest retro hull in my opinion.

4. I bought a 16' '79 SuperSport since it is an open bow and fits in my garage.

Good luck:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Glass boats have wooden stringer and transoms that are glassed to the hull. These are usually completely rotted on on most project boats and you have to grind out all the old wood and glass, fabricate new ones and glass them in. This is a time consuming, messy and fairly expensive project. Aluminum boats have aluminum stringers and their wooden transoms are just slid into place and bolted in. Much much easier.

To answer your other question, SC did not have an aluminum hull boat with a glass top that I'm aware of.

daveogiboat

Cadet

I get it now...

Yes, wood in the structure of a fiberglass boat would be a BIG problem. Aluminum boats would include the lower structure in Aluminum (less wood in more easier to work on locations)...Thanks!!!

I will stick to Aluminum.

Bananaboater's 64 Jet looks awesome... This type (or similar) Aluminum runabout is probably the ticket... How much did you pick it up for?

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

1. I prefer aluminum for it's lightweight nature and durability. Low maint too.

All starcrafts can be restored to turn some heads. The Chieftain cuddy is the sweetest retro hull in my opinion.
QUOTE]

+1 on the aluminum and +1 on the Chieftain. My favorite is the Islander, but it's a bigger boat. Chieftain is a very cool boat, love the hardtops.

If your fishing check out the SuperSport or Offshore (18 foot). If your cruising then a Holiday is a very attractive boat. Not too familiar with the Jupiter.

My opinion only, everybody's will be slightly different.

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class

If ever you question aluminum vs fiberglass again, check out the restoration section on this forum. Those glasser guys go through hell. For me, that kind of work just isn't worth it. Aluminum boat restoration can be daunting at times, especially on a large boat in rough condition, but it doesn't even compare to what those itchy glassheads have to do. As far as head turning goes, that's a matter of opinion. But I've got to say that '75 Islander that paparoof just picked up is really sharp. But an 18ft SS would meet my needs best on the smaller lakes around here.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

How much did you pick it up for?

Any of the closed bows will go for very very reasonable prices. You should definitely update your profile with your location. We have lots of craigslist junkies here that would gladly help you scout.

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well...since you mentioned a Jet, I will have to throw my $.02 in.

The Jets are a little harder to come by, the poll on SC forum will illustrate that nicely :rolleyes:. The cool factor is definitely in the lines, how she rides in the water, and the rediculously reinforced transom (3 knee braces)...which will allow you a little more giddeeeyup from a larger OB. Jets had a couple of different seating arrangenments which allows for versitility in how YOU want to make it look/behave for your guests.

Ok...sorry you didn't ask about how cool they are...you wanted to know how much. Under $1000 most likely, but I think most sellers are all over the board right now. Lots of nice SC's going for $350 and up. EZ is right on...update your profile to show where you are located and watch the craigslist thread here and see what pops up.

Wes