75 Johnson Stinger...Overhaul needed??

Ridiculous

Seaman
Re: 75 Johnson Stinger...Overhaul needed??

I changed the oil when I first got the boat. Ill just have to inspect it closer

LIGHTFOOT

Seaman

Good luck with that engine. I have the same exact motor on my Galaxy. I've had nothing but problems with it and can't wait to get rid of it.

Ridiculous

Seaman

Good luck with that engine. I have the same exact motor on my Galaxy. I've had nothing but problems with it and can't wait to get rid of it.

thanks for lifting my moral, lightfoot:cool:

Ridiculous

Seaman

UGH!

patience are running this with this motor guys.

i got and replaced the new coil today. i have strong spark on all three cylinders. yet i still have a miss...

while replacing the coil, i notice that one of the wires on the "rectifier & lead assy" has all the insulation missing and the wire is really corroded with strands broken. it's the red wire to anyone who knows what i'm talking about.

so i have questions:
first off, what does the "rectifer & lead assy" do??
what are my next steps: replace the rectifier and check timing???

Ridiculous

Seaman

can anyone help me out here? i'm going to lose sleep tonight over this. i read through the forums hoping for answers but i get nowhere! i have everything that everyone says i need.

Compression-good
spark-good
fuel-fresh
carbs-clean

what is causing my misfire?? only thing i can figure is the timing is off. and the only info i find on that is the "link and sync", and that i need to follow the procedure in the manual EXACTLY as it says.

is that all that is left???

please help guys! beginning to get desperate. i just wanna hit the water before it snows.

this is my first boat and i only got to have one good time of boating, the other three i broke down and it ran like crap. all the other times i've been in my boat have been in my shop working on it!!!so please give me any ideas to get it goin!

Ridiculous

Seaman

ok guys, got a timing light and a new theory.

i got the timing light and did a "link and sync". most everything was in spec. i had to adjust the cam roller slightly, it seemed to help but it was still missing.

now i take the timing light and just point it at the boat and watch the "spark" and i notice that it looks weak and its intermittent. (def intermittent!) so now i'm thinkin power pack or stator. but in the back of my mind i'm still thinking of that burned up wire on the rectifier. so i come home, do some research, and learn that a burned up rectifier can cause a miss!!

so now i'm thinkin that that has to be it.

so from my understanding, i need to unhook the leads from the rectifier coming from the timer base, and if the problem goes away, that it's a rectifier problem, but if not it stator.

am i on the right track here people?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

you getting intermittent spark on all cylinders?

It has been my understanding that some rectifier failures can ground the ignition, where you get no spark any cylinder. But that's not definitive.

If the tachometer is working the rectifiers fine. If the battery is charging, same thing.

Ridiculous

Seaman

you getting intermittent spark on all cylinders?

It has been my understanding that some rectifier failures can ground the ignition, where you get no spark any cylinder. But that's not definitive.

If the tachometer is working the rectifiers fine. If the battery is charging, same thing.

well i can deff. say about the top cylinder being intermittent. the other two seemed to be but not as deffinate it seemed. tomorrow, i'll unhook the rectifier anyway just to eliminate it. but what's up with the burned up red wire? why is it so? maybe overcharging? and isn't it so that if the rectifier isn't charging then that can cause a miss b/c of low voltage outputs?

i'll check to see if it's charging too just for kicks. and this boat doesn't have a tach...wish it did though.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

rectifier is only there to convert AC to DC for the battery charging circuit.

The stator passes AC to the powerpack for ignition, and is completely magneto driven. You could rope start the motor with no battery or rectifier hooked up to it, it'll run just fine. But without a battery hooked up, the rectifier will blow. And without a rectifier, the battery won't recharge.