75 Johnson Stinger...Overhaul needed??

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 75 Johnson Stinger...Overhaul needed??

The cylinder head is up to you, but if it were mine I would get another cylinder head. If you keep a search for the part number running on Ebay, by the time you get get everything else done you will have a good one. You might even get one from one of the other forum members if you let them know you need it.

You can also check with some salvage yards:
americanoutboard.com
budgetboats.net
fairwindsmarina.com
laingsoutboards.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
mmmarinesalvage.com
piratemarinesalvage.com
outboardexchange.com
outboard-parts.com
salvagemarine.com
sea-way.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
tcoutboard.com
trixieslanding.com

Ridiculous

Seaman

man, ezeke, i really appreciate all those links you've gave me and all your help.

be sure you subscribe to this thread if you haven't already...i'll have more questions in the future!

Ridiculous

Seaman
Still Having Issues...Follow Up From Last Thread

Still Having Issues...Follow Up From Last Thread

ok, here's the follow up from my last thread.

here's the link if you forgot/or never read it:http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=422852

so i got the overhaul done finally. ordered a rebuild kit from powerhead exchange. all went together well and the kit was a very well put together kit.

so i get all this done, hook it up to the hose. get it fired up...all is going well so far. seems to idle real nice but check this out.

when i lift the warm up lever, it takes quite awhile to get up to speed. she just struggles to get there. but once it does, it runs fine, so what the heck it goin on now?

i rebuild the whole powerhead AND the carbs. did a compression test after rebuild and i have 110 psi across the board. did not yet do a spark test but i plan to today.

so any other ideas? i'm hoping you more experienced guys can just tell me what's wrong :cool:

and another question...do these carbs have any adjustment? everything is fixed right with no adjustment or no?

thanks guys!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Still Having Issues...Follow Up From Last Thread

There are no adjustments on your carb. When you overhauled your carbs did you remove the core plugs on top of the carbs and clean the passages underneith?

Ridiculous

Seaman

i chose not to remove the plugs. i just blew carb cleaner through them then blew them out with air...

Ranger Danger

Seaman

i chose not to remove the plugs. i just blew carb cleaner through them then blew them out with air...

I tried that the first time too, and it didn't work. It's well worth it to take them out and clean the whole area. After that it was like a different carb.

Ridiculous

Seaman

I tried that the first time too, and it didn't work. It's well worth it to take them out and clean the whole area. After that it was like a different carb.

Really? i'll have to do so then. Were you having symptoms like what i'm having?

Ranger Danger

Seaman

Really? i'll have to do so then. Were you having symptoms like what i'm having?

My symptoms were different, but it's hard to diagnose anything until you know for sure that the carb is clean and rebuilt if it sat for any length of time. On my outboard I started with fuel, got it locked down, then went to spark and ignition. It would have been really hard to lock down my spark issues if the carbs would have been clogged.

Ridiculous

Seaman

ok folks,

here's what i did and found out today...

i did like you said. took the carbs off, COMPLETELY disassembled and cleaned them. these carbs are spotless!

next i did a spark test. my service manual says it should jump a 1/2" gap, and you folks say 7/16", i can't imagine a 1/16" makes any difference but that's irrelavent...

anyway here's my findings:
Top cylinder: only will jump a 1/4" gap and it's real weak
Middle cylinder: jumps a 1/2" gap and is strong
Bottom cylinder: jumps a 1/2" gap and is strong

so i go on and read in the service manual about the testing procedures but they just boggled my mind! i just didn't really understand...

so this is what else i did:

hooked it up to the hose and ran it again. started (with my hand) to slowly shut the air off to each carb.
do this to the bottom carb, darn near kills it
do it to the middle carb, same thing, about kills it
but i do it to the top carb, i can put my entire hand over the carb and it doesn't change how it runs whatsoever...

so knowing all that...what's wrong now!?

thanks guys!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Try swapping the top coil with one of the others and see if the poor spark moves with the coil, if so replace the weak coil.
Once you get the spark problem corrected repeat the "hand over the carb" test and see if it improves.

Ridiculous

Seaman

Try swapping the top coil with one of the others and see if the poor spark moves with the coil, if so replace the weak coil.
Once you get the spark problem corrected repeat the "hand over the carb" test and see if it improves.

good idea daviet, didn't even think about swapping coils (duh!)

but does that seem to be the case or what?

if i shut the air off and it runs the same, then its obviously not firing, correct?

115johnson78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same problem on my 115 had a bad coil. swaped with another and it moved cyl. and yes if you block the air off it runs the same that is a dead cyl.

good luck.

Ranger Danger

Seaman

All of the above is good advice.

In my case not only did I have dirty carbs, I also had 2 bad coils on the same side, therefore mimicking a blown powerpack. One powerpack and then 2 ignition coils later she's running great.

Try moving the coil. If the problem follows then you're about $50 away from a good running engine.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

good idea daviet, didn't even think about swapping coils (duh!)

but does that seem to be the case or what?

if i shut the air off and it runs the same, then its obviously not firing, correct?

If it's not jumping a half-inch gap, then you have diagnosed no spark on your top cylinder.

Blocking the carb throat is the same as choking -- it'll flood that cylinder with gas, preventing it from firing. Better to momentarily pull (then replace) the spark plug wire. Same effect without flooding. And yes, if RPMs don't change, it's not hitting.

... it's hard to diagnose anything until you know for sure that the carb is clean and rebuilt if it sat for any length of time. On my outboard I started with fuel, got it locked down, then went to spark and ignition. It would have been really hard to lock down my spark issues if the carbs would have been clogged.

I have to disagree...you can positively rule out spark and compression problems by testing, even if the engine won't start. Carburetor diagnosis is more a matter of ruling everything else out first. Most of the time you can't even replicate the symptoms of dirty carbs without launching the boat.

Ranger Danger

Seaman

I have to disagree...you can positively rule out spark and compression problems by testing, even if the engine won't start. Carburetor diagnosis is more a matter of ruling everything else out first. Most of the time you can't even replicate the symptoms of dirty carbs without launching the boat.

Yea, that makes sense. I guess for me it was the part of the engine I was more comfortable with, but the ignition components turned out to be pretty easy too.

Ridiculous

Seaman

ok folks, did more testing, here are my findings:

swapped the coil out with a different one and the weak spark stayed with the coil! so i'm glad about that, just gotta get a coil, then hopefully i'm in there!

now, there's something else, (a friend of mine told me that if i get an old boat, i'll never be done working on it, boy was he right!)

i go to my shop to day, and where the boat sits, i've got a puddle of oil under the prop! UGH!!!

this is my theory, tell me if it's plausible...when i blew up the bottom cylinder, the bottom piston ring was completely gone! have yet to find any remnents of it yet. so i'm assuming that those pieces got into the seal down there and ate up the prop seal???

so anyways, let me know about all that, but i still need a seal, so can ya'll look at this parts list and tell me what i need...i'm thinking it's #28 oil retainer, correct???

ok, the link i posted just takes you to the general parts index, i give up, can anyone just tell me what seal i need w/o tearing it apart...i wanna know so i can just order it with the coil...

thanks everyone for all your help!!!

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Is it lower unit oil or unburned oil coming out of the exhaust, should be easy to tell, use the sniff test.

Ridiculous

Seaman

Is it lower unit oil or unburned oil coming out of the exhaust, should be easy to tell, use the sniff test.

i should've known better to check closer, but it sure did look like lower unit oil. and i can tell you that it was coming out between the backside of the prop and lower unit. so my assumptions are lower unit oil??? will still double check though...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

have you not changed the lower unit oil yet? the stuff I use is amber...you'd have to leave it in there for years to turn it black.

location of the drip is not a clue.

There is no point of entry into the gearcase for liberated engine fragments, and it's real hard to imagine something (other than fishing line) attacking the propshaft seal from the outside, but anything's possible so if you still have doubts, drain the gearcase, look for water and metal. Refill and try again.