74 Johnson 50 HP bogs down when you give it gas, Model 50ESL74M

samboo44

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 11, 2011
Messages
2
I have a 74 Johnson 50 HP that will run good for a couple of minutes and then bogs down when you give it the gas. It idels fine but just won't get up and go after it heats up. How do I fix it.
 

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Apr 21, 2010
Messages
220
Re: 74 Johnson 50 HP bogs down when you give it gas, Model 50ESL74M

I have the exact same motor and had the exact same problem....it was only running on one cylinder. Take off the air silencer and look into the carbs and see if both are spraying fuel while motor is running.
 

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
8,958
Re: 74 Johnson 50 HP bogs down when you give it gas, Model 50ESL74M

Start by checking the spark and compression, easy and cheap to do. Then move on to the fuel system if spark and compression is good.
 
Top