73 merc 115 hp Mod 1150

jhtaylor

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought two boats with good trailers and with motors. The one is an 1150 Merc and was said to be a runner when it was last used. I trust the source. BUT it has not been fired for seven years. I will replace the impeller and the oil of course. What else should I look at before I try to fire it up. I would guess the carbs will need some attention. I have never messed with large two stroke motors before so this will be interesting. Thanks for any input.

danny9696

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 73 merc 115 hp Mod 1150

I am also kinda new to large 2 stroke engines, but the carbs would be a good place to look, also check the spark plugs, and if it was me I would also check the fuel pump (I got bit by the same engine last year by the fuelpump) but give it a good once over and check all hoses and wires just for basics checks.

I know that the people on this forum are very willing to share info with us new guys and they can probably give you alot more info than I

Good luck

mthieme

Captain

I'd fire it up with muffs before heading to the parts store and breaking out the tools.
Having said that, rubber has a nasty habit of dry rotting with age, particularly when unused.
Aside from the impeller, this leaves the carbs, fuel pump, and some odd seals.
Check your LU oil of course.
There is a sticky about reviving OBs that have been sitting awhile.
Someone else will provide the URL.

jhtaylor

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the link and the advice. I will replace the impeller and oil before I do anything. I will follow the guidelines in JB's thread. Looks like a fun spring and summer ahead.