72 Wellcraft 165 Mercruiser 140

dizzyspots

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Found a 1972 Wellcraft 165 with Mercruiser 140...located in sunny southern AZ. Price is right.
reading everything I can find on this site about Wellcraft...lots of positive comments about the smoothness of the hull design, etc
But also a lot of talk about deck, stringer and transom problems...
a) is the problem actually that widespread?
b) same issue with outboard and inboard motors?
c) dry southwest make a difference in the rot problem?

Best way to check before purchase?

Thanks
Mike
Vail, AZ

dizzyspots

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 72 Wellcraft 165 Mercruiser 140

Found a 1972 Wellcraft 165 with Mercruiser 140...located in sunny southern AZ. Price is right.
reading everything I can find on this site about Wellcraft...lots of positive comments about the smoothness of the hull design, etc
But also a lot of talk about deck, stringer and transom problems...
a) is the problem actually that widespread?
b) same issue with outboard and inboard motors?
c) dry southwest make a difference in the rot problem?

Best way to check before purchase?

Thanks
Mike
Vail, AZ

Went to look at the 165 this morning....seems to be all there. Owner said he took it in trade for a 5th wheel, but cant swim and wants it out of the yard. States he took it for lake spin...ran great,,40mph indicated, tilt worked fine .... no lakes near here, so cant independently confirm...said he did find a leaky tilt/trim hose...replaced it (looks new) has non factory motor cover...deck and what I could see of the motor mount stringers felt solid ... upholstery is all there no gross cracks in vinyl...but az sun has almost done them in
Dual saddle gas tanks... what 30 gal total? dual axle trailer with 4 new tries asking $1500 OBO would probably take a grand...hes way out of town....
any thoughts or concerns data plate says 1976 Wellcraft 165 ,,,but paint layout looks like 1973 (solid green "dart" part near stern but remainder is white, including transom