72' Starcraft Islander

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Time to start a new project. So I brought home a 1972 Islander. Good thing I only paid a $150 for it ($117 dollars of that money was from scrap aluminum and copper I had laying around, so it really only cost me $33). The floor so rotted its like dirt. So the last 2 nights after work I have been trying to get the old rotted wood and crumbling foam out of the back portion of the boat (100 degrees here today), so when it does rain it will drain. Makes me think why I did this. All is not bad though, I found 2 Riviera Downriggers one w/a 6 foot boom and one w/a four foot boom. Plus two other down riggers w/counters that lock in the stern of the boat. I might have to consider selling them all.

My first goal is to get dirt and crap out of it so if it rains it will drain. Then I can see what I have in a motor,before I pull it.

This rebuild will take some time, its not like rebuilding my 66' Nassau I can tell. I hope I am up to the task.

Last edited:

third times the charm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 72' Starcraft Islander

Like the look of her, thats one he?? of a deal no matter what shape its in. I like the look of the islander. Good luck with this one:D

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Excellent deal (I will give you that if you get discouraged) She will be a sweet boat when you complete it. Im rootin for ya. Dave

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Wow that's one heck of a deal. These big boats are great to restore. Alot of fun to play with and a great learning experience, and they are easy to work on!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I'm looking forward to see what you have in store for her!

Man, we both started out with just about the same deal - had a couple of down riggers thrown in mine too, I think Riviera. Well, cept one pretty major difference...
P1000674.jpg

Advantage TGP:facepalm::rolleyes:

Have fun man!:D I'll be watching:)

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What a bargain. Canvas too...Sweet!!!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Checkin' in to subscribe :) Nice hull!

tgp***

Got all the decade crud out of the back part of the boat, so it will at least drain if it rains. Trashman is going love me next week. Looks like I have dual gas tanks.
100_2112.jpg
It appears that the PO may have drianed the block on the engine. The drain **** appears to be open. Might get lucky.
100_2126.jpg
Question, since its all coming apart any way, do I remove the outdrive before I try to test the engine, or do leave on? Could I conenect a hose to the engine run water through it and try to start it that way. Lot to do before that happens though.
100_2116.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Probably best to leave it all together that way you can check the outdrive while you are at it. But, you can certainly check the engine with the OD off. Just jam your garden hose onto the engine water line and start er up:)

tgp***

You know those dual gas tanks I was talking about, scrap metal.
100_2153.jpg

Got all the rotten wood, leaves, dirt, and water logged foam out.
100_2156.jpg

Progress however so slight is still progress.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Progress is progress. Doesn't it feel good to get all that junk out and finally look at a nice clean hull?

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Especially when you dont uncover more problems. My favorite pic. so far is the one with that new type of anchor that resembles a shovel. Ha-Ha, It illustrates the get it done attitude boat fixers have. Good work, I like this project & look foreward to seeing progress.Still like the shovel tho!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice to see er opened up a little, looks like good progress to me buddy!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know how you guys keep finding deals like that!!,..

Gonna be fun watching this come together,...

tgp***

This is going to be one long restoration. This not my Nassau. Its quite a daunting task. I found a little time today, took a few pieces off the boat, then decieded I should put a battery in it and see what works. I've got some gauge lights that come on. Some of the guages bumped when I tuned the key. The little light in the cabin worked, the motor for the trim sounded like it was working ( not sure if realy works or not, i had to bleed some fluid to get up then tie it for the road home), the trim tabs motor sounded like it was working. So I thought oh well lets see if it turns over....................................................Nope. Froze tight.

So I sprayed some fogging oil in the cyclinders. I'll let sit and give it another go in few days.

I read somewhere that putting tranny fluid in the cyclinders works. Anyone ever try it?? please respond if you have.

Throttle plate on the carberator is froze shut too. No surprises though, did'nt expect much, was just hoping.

Time for a cold beer and some air conditioning. Its just too darn hot out there today in sun.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

This is going to be one long restoration. This not my Nassau. Its quite a daunting task.

I know what this feels like man. Couple of other fellas around here do too.

It's a mountain Tim, just keep putting one foot in front of the other. You'll get there. Maybe I will too.:)

tgp***

Been busy w/work and the in-laws, so I don't have a lot to report on the restoration.

Tried turning the engine over again, after letting the fogging oil sit for a week. Still siezed. Drained the oil, about 1/2 gallon of water was in it. Could be toast. Time to move forward and get that engine pulled. So I'm looking into building a gantry similar to whats in paparoof's 75 Islander restoration thread. I have a bunch of 12 foot rough sawn 2x6's. need to go to Farm and fleet for bolts nuts and washers one of these days.

I did pull the stern drive after work today, that's laying on my work bech now. I'm researching replacement power for that old 140 Mercruiser....there are some doner boats out there, but I may need to liquidate the all the down riggers to fund the doner boat :(.

tgp***

100_2165.jpg
Built a gantry (thanks paparoof for the idea) and pulled the engine today. Got done just before it started to pour rain. Errecting a 12 foot high gantry is a challenge when your by yourself. Now, I'm thinking about using the gantry to take the entire top off and flip the hull. The bottom of the boat is where the worst paint is. Been bottom coated lots of bare spots, kinda chunky looking. It sure would make it easier to sand and paint withe hull flipped. I really want to get it off the trailer too. I'm not sure yet which way I'll go. I still have a lot of dismantling left to do.

I have a question. There is a like a wire spring on the ram mount bushing for the out drive. Whats the purpose.

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice work on your engine pull Tim. What do ya suppose you'll put back in there?

Looks like you can use that gantry as a swing set from here on buddy!