72 Mercury 500 No Spark

RRafkin72

Seaman
It has been chewed up a bit. They should still be available

Thanks, I looked at a new one online and it doesn't look too bad comparatively. Didn't realize it's a cam

I ordered a pump kit today. Impeller was all there but definitely retired

20221111_153059.jpg

Does the lower pump housing come out? It looks like there's a gasket below?

20221111_152720.jpg

merc850

Commander
You pry it out with 2 screwdrivers 180* apart, there should also be an O-ring on the pump housing.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Unless you are getting Water in the Gearcase, I wouldn't bother removing the lower Pump Housing. If you are, then by all means pull it and replace the seals/o-ring/gasket

RRafkin72

Seaman
Unless you are getting Water in the Gearcase, I wouldn't bother removing the lower Pump Housing. If you are, then by all means pull it and replace the seals/o-ring/gasket

I'm assuming it wasn't getting water in there based off of "came from a good running fresh water unit" but I'm honestly not sure.

If I get the lower pump housing off is there any thing else that comes off to do all the seals gaskets and orings?

Does anyone have a diagram of the 1970 65hp lower?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You will know if water is getting in when you drain the Oil. Of course, if you just bought the unit, a sharp and unethical seller, could always drain a Unit, then refill it with fresh oil, and that would hide any leaks, till after you use it. Best to get the Unit, Pressure and Vacuum tested

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
All the Seals on the Drive Shaft are in the Lower Pump housing. There are a couple more Seals on the Prop Shaft, that are in the Bearing Carrier, and there is an O-ring on the Bearing Carrier. There is also a Seal on the Shift Shaft, that pretty much covers all the Seals, except for the Gaskets on the Drain and Vent/Level Screws, and the Gasket under the Lower Pump Housing, which has that thick O-ring too

RRafkin72

Seaman
You will know if water is getting in when you drain the Oil. Of course, if you just bought the unit, a sharp and unethical seller, could always drain a Unit, then refill it with fresh oil, and that would hide any leaks, till after you use it. Best to get the Unit, Pressure and Vacuum tested

Thanks I do have a pressure tester for outdrives at work and I believe a vacuum tester I'll try and snag em today...The seller said it had no oil in it when shipped, but ill pull the plug and make sure.

RRafkin72

Seaman
Got the pressure tester on my new lower and heard some leakage at the lower pump housing so I tried(pryed) a little harder and got it off.

20221122_170136.jpg

The seals are toast so ill have to get those ordered up along with the base gasket. Anyone have a diagram for the lower?

In other news I should be receiving my 65hp today at some point. So I will soon be disconnecting the 50hp and prepping for that.

Cheers, thanks again for all the tips

RRafkin72

Seaman
I found a water pumpbbase gasket, and lower housing with both seals installed.

Does anyone know the part # for the lower water pump housing o ring?
Lower unit serial is 2804236

Thanks again guys šŸ»