70's 80's Merc 800

hornetracing65

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 28, 2010
Messages
15
Went to run the boat today, primed bulb and noticed when squeezing bulb, fuel is running out of the top carb. I have never noticed this before. Any ideas as to why. Also looking for repair manual for this motor. I have owned numerous older Mercury outboard 2 strokes, but all had the distributor in them, this one doesn't. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
 

3boydad

Seaman Apprentice
Joined
Mar 20, 2020
Messages
36
Needle stuck or float not closing needle. As far as Manuel goes what year? They sell them.
 

hornetracing65

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 28, 2010
Messages
15
I think it is between 78 and 85, every time I try to look up Vin I have issues. Let me find Vin again.
 

Chris1956

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
29,222
If it is truly a 80HP 4 cylinder motor, the year is 1978.

Rebuild both carbs with new gaskets, inlet needles and seats and floats. The original floats were foam and can dissolve in today's alcohol-gasoline fuels.
 

hornetracing65

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 28, 2010
Messages
15
Thank you very much, I will do just that and hopefully she will start and run like a champ again.
 
Top