70 HP evinrude prop question

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 70 HP evinrude prop question

I thought you had tried the 12 setting and it didn't work out. Your 70 HP has a 12 pole alternator, so therefore you would set it to 12 pole on the Tach. Many Tachs have pulse settings, not pole settings. If that is the case, then you would set it to 6 pulse...

scothorn

Seaman Apprentice

right, it is pole settings on this tach, not pulse. It was on 10, I set it to 12 but it was "sluggish" in response to throttle (slight reving), but seemed to be normal in response on 10. But I didn't run it in the water, only on muffs. Going to try it on the water soon, and I'll post the results later.
Thanks again,
Scott

Seadoomanls

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also, no need to buy a new prop...the local prop shop can repitch your propeller for around $60

scothorn

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, sorry it took me so long to repost. I put a 19 pitch prop on, changed the tach to 12 pole and gave it a go. At WOT it was taching about 5300 rpms and ran about 39 mph. Does that sound about right for a 17ft aluminum tracker with a 70hp Evinrude loaded with 2 people and fishing gear?? The tach was originally set to 10 pole, and it had a 17 pitch prop on it and was "screaming" if you will at WOT, and would only run about 35mph. Thanks for the imput.
Scott