70 Horse Yamaha Hydraulics

Groundhog2

Cadet
My raise/lower ability has decreased noticeably over the last month. I can still raise the motor enough to get the manual supports in place, can adjust the planing angle OK up and down, etc. BUT I cannot raise the motor quite enough to put the manual stops in place without some hand assisted raising AND the 2 small cylinders will not lower into their housings after use to protect them from salt water, etc. like I used to do. In other words something is causing limits on both how high the large center cylinder will go and how low the two smaller cylinders will go under power from the control button.
What is this? Does the system ever need more hyd fluid? I had the motor/pump replaced 3 or 4 years ago.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Absolutely systems need to be topped off with hydraulic fluid from time to time. I would start there.

Groundhog2

Cadet
Absolutely systems need to be topped off with hydraulic fluid from time to time. I would start there.
I see only a slotted-head screw or plug toward the port side of the trim rod housing. Is the the hydraulic fluid fill plug? I downloaded both 2006 and 2007 Owners manuals and neither even mentions existence of hydraulics much less where to fill the fluid.