$7.5k to spend, researching for months, still can't narrow it down.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: $7.5k to spend, researching for months, still can't narrow it down.

Sure did. Rainbow falls more often though. We miss Colorado. For boating though, the lakes there are like being in a big bathtub aren't they?

I have a 25' boat so its more like a moderate sized bathtub, we go to Pueblo Res, less traffic then CC or Chatfield and it seems like as soon as I hit 55 mph on cc or chatfield its time to slow down(besides its a 35 mph speed limit). me and the wife still go to chatfield on the weekday evenings and relax in the no wake zone, there's just something about a cold Corona and the soft swaying of a boat on water puts my butt to sleep. Most of our big boating is Lake McConnaughy in Nebraska or Lake Powell, I love going 60 MPH on the water for an hour, hate filling the gas tank LOL.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

zombie ss.jpg

Kuuner

Cadet

got it narrowed down to two boats. Both have 5.7 Mercruiser and Alpha 1 outdrive.

http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/2783100260.html
Is the smaller Arriva. I do like the Open Bow. I want the big one but, twice the money. I like the rarity but.

The 2nd one is a 1993 Ski Sanger DX. No open bow. 21'. PERFECT condition all around. I went to see it. Good motor, floor, transom, stringers, everything pristine condition. Started her up, shifted gears, reverse, etc.. not one bit of deferred maintenance. Only one i've see with outdrive instead of Vdrive. Is that a modification? Normal? I can't find anothe Sanger in the 90's with a rear engine.

Both boats are same price. Both boats are within a couple hours drive.

Any opinions if it's down to those two?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Go with your gut, at the age they are if one is in Perfect condition thats the one I would go with

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The 21 foot bowrider looks pretty good. I have a 20 foot bowrider with the 5L MPI and alpha1 outdrive and it works well for general water sports. I have 3 daughters, 2 teens and a tween and usually have 2 or 3 of their friends along too. I used to ski but a bad elbow makes it hard for me to hang on so mostly I drive or tube now. The kids all seem to like wakeboarding better than skiing. A cuddy on a small boat is just a hot storage box. The open bow gives you a lot more room and a good bimini gives a nice shaded space in the back, which is essential down here in Georgia.
The V drive is common on dedicated ski boats. Its a direct drive with the prop under the boat instead of an outdrive.

hostage

Lieutenant

I currently have a Maxum 19ft Cuddy w/ a 4.3L. I love it, though I am also eyeing boats that I would get in the future, when I have kids and a dog. Right now it is just me and my fiance. When I invite friends w/ their kids on board it can get a little crowded. Even though we have a cuddy, we have yet to use the toilet and we have not slept in it for the two years we have owned it.

I have started to look at boats for when I am in your situation (always like to be prepared) :) Anyway when I have 2 kids and some friends I would make sure to have a 21ft - 23ft Open Bow w/ a 5.0 to 5.7L v8. If the boat doesn't come with a bimini, don't fret, I installed a nice looking one on my boat for about ~$300. Only valid argument for my fiance has about the cuddy is the changing room. Though most marinas will have bathrooms/changing rooms. You can always use the lake as your bathroom, fish do it all the time 0_o. Some more modern boats have a small head/changing room in front of one of the consoles.

The cuddy is also a great storage place

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Arrivas are sweet looking.

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

http://killeen.craigslist.org/boa/2816934373.html

i understand this is quite a bit of distance away from you, but it does answer most of your needs. big, toilet/change area, fridge, fresh water sink, lots of seating and great for water sports, with gear. and very similar to the one you mentioned earlier. it does tick all the boxes, there is always room to negotiate and if looks could kill this would be in jail. plus no yamaha outdrive, 454 with bravo. great combo.

Kuuner

Cadet

Ok...pulled the trigger yesterday. 21' Sanger DX Sterndrive. 1992. Not a deck boat, not an open bow. All things i was looking for but at the end of the day, with all of the boats i looked at (15 in all), this was in the best condition for the money I ended up paying, which was $5K even. It included a new spare prop, 2 and 3 person tubes, wakeboards, two boat covers, Bimini top and a dual axle VM Trailer.

The only thing that made me hold my breath and hesitate was the OMC Cobra powerplant but, I have a good manual from the previous owner and he swears with good maintenance, it will last another 20 years. We'll see about that.

I'm off for the inagural water splash at Lime Saddle Marina here in Northern Cal today. I'll shoot some pics and give you all the debrief. Wish me luck and hope that I don't end up on the news!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sanger makes a heck of a boat.

$5000 for a Sanger, nice job.

Can't wait for your reviews and photos.

Kuuner

Cadet

Well, the first voyage was without flaw for the boat. The captain on the other hand needs some work. Spent 3 hours on Lake Oroville going from a marina ten minutes from my home to another marina about 16 miles away. Everything worked on the boat great. We got to cruising speed at 50 and the speedo was buried. I was at about 2/3'rds throttle. I'll bring GPS next time.

I on the otherhand, suck. When loading the boat back up, I backed so far down the ramp that the boat just hovered over the trailer. I jumped in up to my chest...in February. 'nuff said. I'm sure I looked like Forest Gump but I figured it out eventually.

All in all, great first trip. I am nervous about launching in the summer though as I hear the locals are BRUTAL if you don't drop the boat within a minute.

Anyway, thanks to all for the guidance and advice. Here is a pic of her.boat.jpg

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on your purchase...that boat REALLY looks sharp.
As far as launching/retrieving ... take your time, plan and think it out, dont let others rush you into making mistakes!! Just remember, those that make it look simple didnt start that way, guaranteed! In short order others will be admiring how simple you make things look.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Kuuner...where at exactly in Northern Cali are you?

southkogs

Staff member

Great looking boat. Congratulations on the buy, and enjoy!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

LOL we all suck the first time Bud, Congratulations!! Great Looking Boat!!

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

boating in February... -_- Here in Canada our season is from May until October
aanyway, enough of my problems, nice lookin yacht Kuuner! enjoy!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I on the otherhand, suck. When loading the boat back up, I backed so far down the ramp that the boat just hovered over the trailer. I jumped in up to my chest...in February. 'nuff said. I'm sure I looked like Forest Gump but I figured it out eventually.

All in all, great first trip. I am nervous about launching in the summer though as I hear the locals are BRUTAL if you don't drop the boat within a minute.

Anyway, thanks to all for the guidance and advice. Here is a pic of her.View attachment 133619

I'm right there with you Kuuner. I bought my first boat, an 18' bowrider and I have a devil of a time getting the trailer to go where I want it. I watched some folks this weekend and they make it look so easy. I'm gonna have to practice some during slow times, I think...

You have a beautiful boat! Nice find!