7.4 L29 idler/tensioner grenaded, issues?

1990dtgl98

Seaman
Hey yall, just a dumb question...

Took the boat out with friends to finally see how the kids did in a tube. Went real slow since they're young. I wound up paying attention to them and making sure they were doing alright and not the boat. She started sputtering and died and I saw the water gauge was pegged. Now im worried.i did some damage with the boat running way over temp.

But I popped the hatched and noticed my tensioner/idler pully essentially grendaded. The bearing is lying in the bilge and the plastic wheel basically spun off it and has shredded pieces of plastic lying around. Just wondering if this was some freak occurrence or if there's some underlying issue i should look for. When I changed the impeller I didn't notice any play or tightness in it, or any of the other accessories.

I've shredded belts before because something seized. Never had a pully basically disingrate. Wanted to check before I replace it.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Hey yall, just a dumb question...

Took the boat out with friends to finally see how the kids did in a tube. Went real slow since they're young. I wound up paying attention to them and making sure they were doing alright and not the boat. She started sputtering and died and I saw the water gauge was pegged. Now im worried.i did some damage with the boat running way over temp.

But I popped the hatched and noticed my tensioner/idler pully essentially grendaded. The bearing is lying in the bilge and the plastic wheel basically spun off it and has shredded pieces of plastic lying around. Just wondering if this was some freak occurrence or if there's some underlying issue i should look for. When I changed the impeller I didn't notice any play or tightness in it, or any of the other accessories.

I've shredded belts before because something seized. Never had a pully basically disingrate. Wanted to check before I replace it.
I have never had an auto idler lock up. I am 72 year old. I am surprised that alternator light didn't come on. Maybe alt locked up? You probably would not have noticed it because of kids. I installed loud audio alarms, just to be sure that the same thing DOESN'T happen to me. Spin everything over to see if they move and install new idler. At least that is what I'd do. Good luck and pray motor is good.!

1990dtgl98

Seaman
I have never had an auto idler lock up. I am 72 year old. I am surprised that alternator light didn't come on. Maybe alt locked up? You probably would not have noticed it because of kids. I installed loud audio alarms, just to be sure that the same thing DOESN'T happen to me. Spin everything over to see if they move and install new idler. At least that is what I'd do. Good luck and pray motor is good.!

Alt spins freely. P/s spins freely. Haven't checked impeller yet. Tensioner pully is Def laying in pieces on the floor.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
had one explode on my ford truck and 2 in customers boats
A freak occurance but you still have to watch the gauges WHILE SOMEONE ELSE WATCHES THE TOWED PEOPLE .

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
keep in mind, idlers are the cheapest bit of aluminum casting with the lowest cost spring and the cheapest bearing known to man - the 6000 series with a shield (no seal) they are designed to last about 8-10 years in the automotive market

being an L29, your boat is between 22 and 27 years old

idlers can have a service life of about 2 decades with constant use and maintenance, however add a bit of rust from being in a bilge and I am surprised it lasted that long

1990dtgl98

Seaman
had one explode on my ford truck and 2 in customers boats
A freak occurance but you still have to watch the gauges WHILE SOMEONE ELSE WATCHES THE TOWED PEOPLE .

We had a spotter. Still, first time my kids on a tube, I was pretty cautious.

1990dtgl98

Seaman
keep in mind, idlers are the cheapest bit of aluminum casting with the lowest cost spring and the cheapest bearing known to man - the 6000 series with a shield (no seal) they are designed to last about 8-10 years in the automotive market

being an L29, your boat is between 22 and 27 years old

idlers can have a service life of about 2 decades with constant use and maintenance, however add a bit of rust from being in a bilge and I am surprised it lasted that long

Kinda what I'm thinking as well....just wanted to make sute there wasn't any known issues with these.

1990dtgl98

Seaman
Got the tensioner today. Going to be replacing it. Manual says 1/4" play in the belt. How hard should I be pressing on the belt to get that allay set?

Also, could it have grenaded cause it a pully isn't in line or centered? I noticed a small amount of rubber slung against the (non pully side) wood panel. Not sure if that was the belt slinging rubber from before, a pullu being off center, or something to do with maybe the tensioner wobbling before grenading.

Wish me luck I didn't do any engine damage!