'69 offshore rebuild- BMerr

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
My garage is on my to do list. I should have made it a to DONE before I drug this tinny home. With the rain in the forecast maybe I'll go out and at least do something out there. Got rid of 5 bags of kids clothes yesterday. Progress not perfection.

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for stopping by guys. To make matters worse, i have only been home 3 months out of the last 13. I had a guest over the other day and she was not impressed, and probably thought less of me!!!! :facepalm:

Last night i cut out the rear casting deck and back boards for the two seat bases i ordered. I will be done epoxying tonight, then i have to vinyl it, then install the bases which come in Tuesday. I'm hoping to have the casting deck on by Wednesday. I ordered a battery tray and all the fuel components, with a sierra water seperator. i ordered the one with the see through bowl with an outlet. Also got all the neccessary items to be legal on the water. i could launch as soon as i get my new trailer (mid march).

For the fuel hose barb connectors at the motor and tank, do i need teflon tape before i attach the hose? I was thinking maybe a dab of 5200. I also did something different than Ron and went with a primer bulb, i figured it couldn't hurt even if i don't use it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
No don't put anything on the hose barb just make sure it's fresh new line or at least the end you're attaching hasn't been attached before. If your worried about a leak you can double clamp the connection.

If you're talking about the threads on the barb that goes into the filter then yes use teflon tape there.

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the tips. All clear on the fuel components. Should be here next week.

Here is a pic of the finished rear casting deck framing. If you considered Candutch's to be overkill, this is completely unecessary. supports added where needed and it's rock solid. i added two pieces that go from the angle attached to the transom wood, riveted it to the floor and the front piece of angle. I'm hoping this is sound. IMG_0071.JPG

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Casting deck is looking great! I was going to inquire about the angle and rivet size being used, but I see it was addressed in a previous post. I plan to do something similar with the front deck for my SS and possibly even a smaller rear platform just in front of the splashwell. I've always like the layout of the older Alumacraft Phantoms with their front and rear decks, almost a hybrid approach between a deep-V and bass boat layout.

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for stopping by guys.

MN- i personally would not go any smaller than 1.5 angle.

I will not be getting much done on the boat in the next few days. Waiting on parts and time and higher temps.

Question on the battery: when trailering, do you all remove your batteries? I'm installing a tray holder that will secure it but wanted to know what you all do. I'm going to lay a thin rubber pad underneath it and could put 1.5" memory foam under it if that would help.

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Why on earth would I do that?

Maybe it is just our rough upstate NY roads, but growing up my father always removed the battery to avoid the vibration and bouncing around. Just curious is all. Does your opinion change if you are traveling down a rocky dirt road where the trailer/boat will bounce significantly?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Never removed my batteries. I would also imagine that the new AGM batteries are much better about being resilient to vibration and shock as well.

Watermann

I wouldn't even worry about the batteries as long as they have something keeping them in place like a strap for the box or a tray with a hold down. Besides how are you going to get the batteries to the lake with you without them being along for the ride on the same road?Sounds worse to have them not secured in the back of a truck bed.

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wouldn't even worry about the batteries as long as they have something keeping them in place like a strap for the box or a tray with a hold down. Besides how are you going to get the batteries to the lake with you without them being along for the ride on the same road?Sounds worse to have them not secured in the back of a truck bed.

Rob- we always had them in the cab with us. Sounds weird but they fit under the back seat.

Sounds good guys. thanks for the responses!

Watermann

More can happen to the battery lifting and moving it 4 times per trip and your vehicle interior might not fair too well if the battery develops a leak. :eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
A choppy day on the lake is gonna jar those batteries far more than any road trip is gonna

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the base for the gas tank cut and layer one of epoxy. Hoping to install permantently this weekend. Here are two pics.

IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0077.JPG

Pusher

Lieutenant
I've noticed the PVC pipe in the center of the floor in a couple posts. Did I miss what that is for? It looks like rod storage somehow but I can't figure out how it works.

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've noticed the PVC pipe in the center of the floor in a couple posts. Did I miss what that is for? It looks like rod storage somehow but I can't figure out how it works.

Yup, if you look back a few pages to a full boat view you'll see there are two slots in the floor for the rod holder. I have no idea if it will function the way i want it to and if it doesn't i can use it for storage. It works best if there's two people- one at either slot in the floor so when you feed the rod through the second person can ensure the rod tip goes into the PVC properly. then the first person puts the butt of the rod through the pvc on their end. My issue is i supported my floor with angle and i'm not sure if it will get in the way of the top PVC slots. Probably won't find out until summer when i go to use it, but maybe i'll get my rods together to find out once the casting deck is complete.

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone have any idea how long it will take my tank to expand once I put fuel in it? My floorboard for it is ready for install, and this morning I'm going to put a bit of fuel in the tank and let it sit all day. I'm wondering if it needs more than 12 hours or so.