69 chrysler tri hull rebuild

seaman65

Cadet
Hey guys I'm pretty new here and could use some advise. I just got a 69 chrysler trihull with a 105. I'm starting its rebuild have a few questions.

the first question being..that I want to paint it after I've rebuilt it..can I use a standard polyurethane paint? I've seen a few posts that say yes but others recommend the marine paint...it will be dry docked when not in use so...

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

78ImperialT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 69 chrysler tri hull rebuild

Welcome to Iboats !

have you considered just buffing and polishing what youve got??

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sure you can use polyurethane. Some boat manufacturers use it for the finish coat.

Remember that a quality paint job is in the preparation of the surface... lots of preparation.

Good luck!

seaman65

Cadet

Hey guys thanks for the input. The pics that tallcanadian has posted are part of my motivation. I've looked closely at all the threads and pics of these rebuilds and have grown enthusiastic about really turning this into some nice like the rebuilds I've seen you guys put up.

So far I've removed the beat up seats, gutted the deck and started the re-deck. I decided to follow the advise of some of the postings here by cleaning out down to the foam, drilling through the foam to check for moisture (thankfully none), then I used 5/8 plywood (the orig had 1/2) as the base. Underneath, some of the foam was torn up with chunks missing so I filled it with canned insulation foam and cut the difference level. The plywood I laid was then top coated with resin and fiberglass for water proofing. I'll post pics tonight I'll have a frame of reference; first of the semi-completed deck at the stern and then up underneath at the bow.

Instead of buffing and rewaxing I'd really like to paint. I'm not too found of the faded yellow even if buffed. I know it will be much more effort in the way of prepping, painting and cost but the thrill is in the doing, I guess that is the reason why I chose something like this instead of something newer with fewer problems.
At any rate, I'll get those pics up asap.

Btw thanks for the replies again...remember, seeing what you guys have done is part of the inspiration...so again I thank you.
M.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to iboats!! Hey Starcraft's used to be the rage on here.....I think maybe it's trihulls now! There's like a new one on here about every day!

Great to have ya on here seaman, and looking forward to watching your progress! Gud luck!

seaman65

Cadet

Thanks folks, its good to be here, I'm happy to have found a forum where the people share something in common. As promised I've gotten a chance to take a few pics and document progress. Here she is in her original state.

Attachments

• first.jpg
    first.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

seaman65

Cadet

Hey guys,
Here is a closer look at the original base prior to my start on the work effort of laying the deck from stern to bow...please let me know any concerns I should be aware of prior to completing the seal down at the bow.
Thanks much,
M.

Attachments

• back view.jpg
    back view.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0
  • looking forward.jpg
    looking forward.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

fire7882

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its looking good as long as you know that the foam is 100% dry. If wet foam gets trapped, the floor will rot in no time and the extra weight will hurt performance. That thing should fly with 105hp. Good luck.

78ImperialT

Petty Officer 1st Class

hes not kidding about the speed. mine weighs in at around 850lbs...75 hp johnson. she'll do 50+ in smooth water. youre gonna love it!

seaman65

Cadet

Welcome to iboats!! Hey Starcraft's used to be the rage on here.....I think maybe it's trihulls now! There's like a new one on here about every day!

Great to have ya on here seaman, and looking forward to watching your progress! Gud luck!

Singinout,
Yea, thanks, I've looked at your rebuild with great pleasure. The thread from beggining to end was a good example of what I'm trying to follow. I liked the deck rebuild...and completed work and colors. If you guys hadn't posted something for us newbies to follow it would make for daunting task.
M.

seaman65

Cadet

Hey guys I've figured out how to resize these pic so instead of sending you off to photobucket I've resized them as thumbs here.

Attachments

• motor side.jpg
    motor side.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 0
  • instrument panel.jpg
    instrument panel.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0

seaman65

Cadet

well it started raining last week and about all I could do was complete the deck and get down the first coat of resin on the plywood. I've just about got the deck 'sealed' and completed and will be starting the inner side sand and paint.

One of the things that occurred to me was that while we were out on the lake the last time. I was having intermittment engine stalling. I noticed that after running the engine 'opened' up it was run great for about ten to fifteen minutes and then it would stall out as though it were running out of gas. I checked the lines and tank and even went as far as dropping the carb bowl to see if the carb's had gas and both did. I'd wait about five minutes or so and then it would start right up as though it never missed a beat.. so I'm wondering if any of you guys might have experienced this before... thanks.
M.

Last edited:

fire7882

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could be the pickup in the tank getting clogged with trash or a partially clogged filter or dying fuel pump. When you shut the motor off, the trash falls off and it will run for another 15 minutes or so.

Get it fixed soon because low fuel could cause a lean and hot combustion. Also less fuel equals less lubrication for the internals.

seaman65

Cadet

Thanks Fire,
The original tank was rusted and about half full with gas that had been sitting for at least the last two summers according to the PO. I thought I could clean it up and just use it. After wrestling with starting it I decided to go to Walmart and pickup up some smaller replacement tanks. Like the knucklehead I have a tendency to be, I poured the gas I had just mixed from this rotted tank into the new tank (I know that wasn't a good idea but did it anyways). With a shot of starting fluid it fired right up and stayed running..man it was nice to hear!! I kept the 'fouled' gas and used it on my first trip that I mentioned earlier. This does bring to mind a new question, so here goes...

The old tank had two venilation tubes, one about 3/4 of an inche that ran to a hose which goes outside of the back of the boat, and the other is about 1 1/2 inches and goes to a tube which goes straight up to a breather hole. These new tanks; according to the details have "Durable cap with vent screw to prevent vapor lock" but I noticed after running the engine on these tanks, the tank began to 'collapse' from suction pressure from the fuel line to the carb. I'd then release the pressure by opening the fill cap. My question is, based on what you've read, does this particular engine require a gas tank that has venilation or can one of these 'sealed' tanks work?

Attachments

• gas tank.jpg
    gas tank.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0

fire7882

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the other is about 1 1/2 inches and goes to a tube which goes straight up to a breather hole

This sounds like the fill tube.

These new tanks; according to the details have "Durable cap with vent screw to prevent vapor lock" but I noticed after running the engine on these tanks, the tank began to 'collapse' from suction pressure from the fuel line to the carb. I'd then release the pressure by opening the fill cap. My question is, based on what you've read, does this particular engine require a gas tank that has venilation or can one of these 'sealed' tanks work?

Is it this one?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11071221

Does the vent screw need to be loose or removed during operation? The built in vents could be to small for your fuel consumption but that is unlikely and I doubt anyone would produce a fuel tank for a boat without allowing for proper venting. If you could get a picture of the top and bottom of the cap, we could be of more assistance.

seaman65

Cadet

Thanks Fire, I'll take some close ups after work..I didn't even think to look at the inside of the cap..

Regarding the older tank, there was a fill cap in addition to the two I mentioned making for a total of three...so I don't know what to think... with some foreward thinking I'd like to see a tank that is big enough that I wouldn't have to worry about switching tanks (6 gallons each) but I am also concerned that I'll have some huge thank that will sit with gas in it for longer periods of time and then have to contend with bad gas later.

Tonight, hell or high water I'm going to finish resin coating the deck and interior that I've been working on. The weather here in Albuquerque has been a bit wet since the weekend and I've not had the motivation to fight the moisture to get things done but I want to begin sanding the interior this weekend period so one way or another I'm going finish sealing.

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay Seaman wekcome

Its a little late but did you take a core sample of the stringers and transom ??

Other then that Nice ride !! what color were you thinking of painting her ?? John

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice to see a Chrysler boat that actually still has a Chrysler hanging on it.

seaman65

Cadet

Ecsercsa and Ezmobee,
Both of your projects I've looked at and was quite impressed, while I liked the red and white the one, however; I've envisioned the blue and white theme that Ezmobee has going on the interior of his rebuild; Both are exceptionally nice and have learned quite a bit from both. I must admit I am partial to the 'dallas cowboys' colors ...lol.

Now for the boat part of things, I will split the color between a royal blue strip on the hull and white base...the interior will be blue carpet, blue and white seats, inside the port and starboard, I'll have the inner white with a blue and gray shelf that runs the length.

As for the Chrysler 105, I was super-impressed with its power, once I've get it fine tuned and have gone through the internals a bit more I'll feel more at ease with it...I did mention the intermittent stalling problem when I've run in it WOT for too long....well I'll get that ironed out before too long...lucky for me I live in New Mexico and elephant butte will produce tons of striped bass all winter...just need to get them dammmmed down riggers...lol