67 sportcraft restore

67sportcraft

Recruit
hello everyone I?m new to this forum but I just wanted to be part of this community everyone seems to be quite knowledgeable and I figured I could use the help but I bought a 1967 sport craft 19 foot boat with a 120hp Mercruiser I bought it 2 days ago the last time It was tagged was 2001 that goes for the boat and the trailer I put the battery on charge for a bit sprayed some carb cleaner down the carb hit the key and she purred like a kitten so I know I?m good in the engine department but my problem is the deck is rotted out and I want to replace the deck and wanted a few pointers from people that have already done it I want to know the cheapest way to do it but something that?s going to hold also the guy i bought it from bought a brand new $450 prop brand new and included it and a few odds and ends i have a grand total of about $450 in this boat as it sits ill write more but this forum is getting long i was gonna post pics but the file size is to big how else can i post pics? thank you for any responses and help

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 67 sportcraft restore

Check out my thread in my sig. Check out threads by cheapboatkev, drewpster, oops, redfury, HVAC, vegasphotoman........list goes on and on.

Read up on those then ask your specific questions haha.

Clifnote version if you have a soft spot in the deck, you are going to be ripping the deck, stringer, transom out and rebuilding that thing from the ground up.

Upload your pics to photobucket and then resize them there. Good luck and keep us informed and post lots of pics. Ask your specific questions as you go many people here love to help.

67sportcraft

Recruit

ok here is a couple specific questions ive heard alot of different answers but what kind of plywood do most people recommend using, ive seen plywood used on here that looks something like a MSD just because of it being so smooth do they make a exterior plywood thats smooth that resembles a cabinet grade plywood? and also could i use polyrethane on the plywood on every side before i lay it down and cover it with carpet if done right it would completly seal water out still working on this whole picture thing soon to have some on here

67sportcraft

Recruit

ok i made a photobucket account and you can click the link in my sig to see pics of my boat

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Before you take matters into your own hands I would strongly suggest a bit of homework..... read through this post (huge) http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392
and many of your questions will be answered. Polyurethane is NOT as waterproof as you think and I would go with csm and poly resin. You will also find that many here (including me) are anti carpet. Read up on the different deck coating methods people have used.