64 3hp Johnson carb question

jwh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi!
I have a 1964 3 hp Johnson that sat for quite a while.Model # jh19a. I took the carb apart to clean out the varnish and dirt and noticed the needle that shuts the gas off when float bowl is full does not have a clip on it. Is this normal. Every other carb I have worked on had a clip that connects to the float. I would like to find out if it does not have a clip before I put it back together. Thanks for any help. John

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 64 3hp Johnson carb question

It depends. Does the needle have a soft tip? If it does, it needs a clip. Some of the early soft tip needles didn't have the clip and they would stick in the seat, stalling the motor when it ran the carburetor dry. If you should happen to have one of those, you need to replace the float valve. On the other hand, if the needle does NOT have a soft tip, no clip is used or necessary.

jwh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks much for the info. If soft tip i will replace the float and get a clip. Thankyou John

nwcove

Admiral

i redid a 62 3hp carb and was also surprised to see no clip, the kit came with the clip/needle, so i used it with the existing float. motor works great.

jwh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey thanks I was wondering about that and appreciate you letting me know. I will order my new kit now. Thanks John