62 Lark Voltage Regulator Question

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there any way to check the voltage regulator?? I just replaced my generator with a NOS generator...checked all my wiring and fuses....but still no charge from the generator. I did do the battery test on the generator and it spins like it should when hooked to a battery. I have checked all the wiring and that checks good also. I would assume that the voltage regultor is bad. Is there any test / troubleshooting tips for them?? Want to make sure I am not missing something before I spend big bucks for a replacement.

Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 62 Lark Voltage Regulator Question

Hang on for awhile and see if F_R shows up, he is the generator wizard on the forum.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you the troubleshooting instructions. But before I do, can I assume you have it all connected correctly?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

First off have everything hooked up on the mtr.Then check to make sure you have 12 volts at the BAT terminal of the regualtor. Then take a jumper wire and momentarily touch it between the BAT terminal and the FIELD terminal of the reg.(you'll get a few sparks). This polarizes the field coils in the generator. Now take a jumper wire and hook it between the FIELD terminal of the regulator and a good ground. Start the mtr up and rev it up a bit and watch your ampmeter. If it starts to charge you have a bad voltage regulator. What you are doing is by-passing the regulator with this test. If no charge start looking at your generator again.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

update.....followed F_R & boobies tips and it is a bad regulator.....now i'll sprn another $100.00....ouch!!!!.....:D

F_R

Supreme Mariner

First off have everything hooked up on the mtr.Then check to make sure you have 12 volts at the BAT terminal of the regualtor. Then take a jumper wire and momentarily touch it between the BAT terminal and the FIELD terminal of the reg.(you'll get a few sparks). This polarizes the field coils in the generator. Now take a jumper wire and hook it between the FIELD terminal of the regulator and a good ground. Start the mtr up and rev it up a bit and watch your ampmeter. If it starts to charge you have a bad voltage regulator. What you are doing is by-passing the regulator with this test. If no charge start looking at your generator again.

Not Correct. Obsrve the caution sticker on the regulator cover and in the troubleshooting instructions. Touching the battery terminal to the field terminal will let the smoke out of the regulator. A generator is polarized by jumping the battery terminal to the ARMATURE terminal. Actually, I don't even do it that way. I disconnect the generator leads, ground the field post, and touch a jumper from the battery (+) to the armature post. Safer that way.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the correction FR. It's only been about 30 yrs since I delt with generators and I guess I needed a little "adult supervision".