60HP 1989 Johnson outboard low compression

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It’s pretty short video but it doesn’t sound to bad. Keep in mind it’s not a modern day motor and it will never sound like one.
Either get it in the water or in a barrel so you can get some back pressure on the exhaust and let her run for awhile and get good and warm before trying to work out the fine tuning.
And give yourself a pat in the back for your efforts.
Best

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It’s pretty short video but it doesn’t sound to bad. Keep in mind it’s not a modern day motor and it will never sound like one.
Either get it in the water or in a barrel so you can get some back pressure on the exhaust and let her run for awhile and get good and warm before trying to work out the fine tuning.
And give yourself a pat in the back for your efforts.
Best
That’s good to know that my engine doesn’t sound too bad ! Yes, I will tune in water soon !! Thank you.

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All,
I still have some tuning to do, but I think rebuilding the engine went fairly well. I couldn’t do this without your advice !!
Thank you very very much for all your support.

Chief Petty Officer
My advice sell everything buy brand used.

Life's too short

The boating season is even shorter

This was back in July .

I know…I hope I can get it work in a week or so.

It's now Sept. Congrats, on the rebuild . There's still some time left to enjoy the water before it gets too cold.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did you clean carburetors ???----Did you install latest water pump kit with instruction to move tell tale fitting to top of block.----And other cooling modifications , yes or no ?

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you clean carburetors ???----Did you install latest water pump kit with instruction to move tell tale fitting to top of block.----And other cooling modifications , yes or no ?
I already cleaned carburetors last year, but maybe I should do it again.

Yes. I modified the tell tale fitting to the top of the block.

Is there any other cooling modifications that I am missing?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There was a change in the thermostat / poppit spring / thermostat housing cover.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I already cleaned carburetors last year, but maybe I should do it again.

Yes. I modified the tell tale fitting to the top of the block.

Is there any other cooling modifications that I am missing?
If the carb rebuild was not checked AFTER the engine teardown based on your cylinder damage, you might want to re-think that and double check it.

It could have been mainly overheat damage but you could have a lean issue masked by the primary issue.

That engine is only one WOT run away from taking a flame tower to +$500 if a carb is running lean.

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There was a change in the thermostat / poppit spring / thermostat housing cover.
Ah i see. The water pump kit came with two different springs and new housing cover.
Let me change them. Thank you.

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the carb rebuild was not checked AFTER the engine teardown based on your cylinder damage, you might want to re-think that and double check it.

It could have been mainly overheat damage but you could have a lean issue masked by the primary issue.

That engine is only one WOT run away from taking a flame tower to +$500 if a carb is running lean.
Yes, sir. Let me clean the carburetors again.

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put my boat on the water and tried to tune carbs. It ran fine until I shut off the engine and tried turn the engine back on when engine was warm.
I went back home and checked the ignition coils and primary coil was showing 0.3-0.4 ohm for all 3 ignition coils. Based on the service manual, they are bad and I will replace them. Is there anything that I should be checking? Maybe powerpack? If powepack is there any quick way to check it if it’s good or not with just muffs on land?

Thank you.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The resistance of primary coils is usually quite low, around 1Ω or less. Your coils are probably OK. Are you sure you have no spark?

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The resistance of primary coils is usually quite low, around 1Ω or less. Your coils are probably OK. Are you sure you have no spark?
I received new coil packs and all are showing the same resistance than the ones I though bad. I guess multimeter that I have is crap…
Let me check if I have spark or not when engine is warm.
All I can say at this point is hard start when warm.