5L not getting water into block!

LX Kid

Ensign
Took three pics this morning. Looks like the base gasket, most bottom one, may be leaking a little as well as the center shaft seal.

20141103_084226_zps483696cd.jpg

20141103_084643_zpsfae6219b.jpg

20141103_084604_zpseab359bf.jpg

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Any guess why there is oil in the "pee" hole? Is the hole just a visual indication that the pump is working? When the engine ran and got hot it was only shooting out about three inches. Usually it would squirt about 12" of water.

On the oil question, as mentioned you simply need to do a pressure test to see where it is leaking. You have probably found it with the base and shaft gasket you mention as weeping.

On the water question - that is simply a drain hole at the bottom of the cavity there. It is not meant to be an indication of the water pump's health - or lack thereof. I never have any water coming out of that hole when on muffs. The water exits the exhaust reliefs or hub.

LX Kid

Ensign
that is the ,MR,Alpha base and it usually dosent fit correctly with a preload pin driveshaft. remove that inner section so we can be sure what base you need
If you see a nut with 4 large slots you need that style base .If you see a bearing and race you need the other base for the MC1/R 18-3418 48-57234A1
http://www.*****************/parts/...25577-thru-0d469858/gear-housing-driveshaft-r

I have the roller bearing! Do I really have to buy another base? It's been working that way for years with no issues until I ran everything hot with no water.

LX Kid

Ensign
I ordered a new base from Aftermarket Marine. He indicated that I have the correct base being the bottom of my base was "not" flat and I have a raised sealing ring on mine. The shaft seal seems little loose so I ordered a whole base which will have two shaft seals.

Thinking of flushing the lower unit with a solvent to remove milky lube residue. Kerosene should be a mild solvent that would not effect the seals. Any suggestions for another solvent welcomed. Could turn the shaft or prop to slush solvent around inside and then let it all drain good.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
You don't understand how it works, There are 2 different bases and they cannot be substituted or you lose the oil or add the water.
What is the number of the base you ordered? You need the base for a MC1 drive

LX Kid

Ensign
You don't understand how it works, There are 2 different bases and they cannot be substituted or you lose the oil or add the water.
What is the number of the base you ordered? You need the base for a MC1 drive

I ordered it over the phone and the service tech said it is for the one with the pre-load pin. He did not tell me the part number. It will be here in a couple of days and I'll post a pic for discussion. (You are correct, I don't understand how it works but I'm getting an "edjumacation!") LoL "In a hundred years what's it going to matter?"

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
At the 6:50 mark it shows the water pump base for the MR/Alpha style water pump. It shows the bearing retainer (ring with 4 slots) and the pump base .
You should not see that in your unit. All you should see is the roller bearing
Your base you ordered should be different and uses a slightly different base gasket and O ring.

Last edited:

LX Kid

Ensign
At the 6:50 mark it shows the water pump base for the MR/Alpha style water pump. It shows the bearing retainer (ring with 4 slots) and the pump base .
You should not see that in your unit. All you should see is the roller bearing
Your base you ordered should be different and uses a slightly different base gasket and O ring.

I've looked several time for the 6:50 time mark over hundreds of postings with no luck. My unit has the roller bearing only and no retainer. Here's another couple of pics.

20141103_160753_zpsa529bdb6.jpg

20141103_160800_zps6fd73ffe.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you removed that from the lower unit where did the pics come from in post 41 showing a different base??????????????

LX Kid

Ensign
If you removed that from the lower unit where did the pics come from in post 41 showing a different base??????????????

Because it's a two piece base. The bottom, with the seal, has a guide pin and "O" ring that joins together with the bases' bottom. When I removed the base, from the shaft,. it stayed on top of the roller bearing.

Maybe it's an old style base and has been replaced by a one piece style base. Just guessing cause I've not seen one before in my limited experience.

Last edited:

LX Kid

Ensign
On the oil question, as mentioned you simply need to do a pressure test to see where it is leaking. You have probably found it with the base and shaft gasket you mention as weeping.

On the water question - that is simply a drain hole at the bottom of the cavity there. It is not meant to be an indication of the water pump's health - or lack thereof. I never have any water coming out of that hole when on muffs. The water exits the exhaust reliefs or hub.

Here's a link about the pee hole, (AKA weep hole), and I believe yours is probably plugged up with sand etc.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ha-one-lower-unit-weep-hole-blocked-drill-out

LX Kid

Ensign
Been doing some reading on the web about the "Weep Hole" and found some interesting write ups. I have always been under the impression the weep hole was to show the lower pump was healthy. It seems if it pumps a lot of water out the hole then the water pump is "failing!" The weep hole "evidently" is just to drain any water that accumulates in the front cavity. Winter temps could crack the front cavity if water does not drain out. (That's what happened to mine before I owned it. See post #15 for pic where I had it repaired.) Any oil that weeps out that hole is an indication of the pump shaft seal failure. Below is an informative posting from Breezeworks about the weep hole.

http://www.breezeworks.net/cgi-bin/M...urnPage=Search

Last edited:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
On the weep hole - (there are a lot of topics going on in this post!) - it's funny. On the post you linked in #54, I replied to that post back in the day with the same information. I was going to correct the misinformation again... but I see that you caught it already. ;)

LX Kid

Ensign
On the weep hole - (there are a lot of topics going on in this post!) - it's funny. On the post you linked in #54, I replied to that post back in the day with the same information. I was going to correct the misinformation again... but I see that you caught it already. ;)

Ok! Proof positive of it being a cavity drain. Since I have the lower off I just poured some water, from the top, into the cavity and it pushed out a long string of water. In states that have freezing weather be forewarned about getting that weep hole open or you may be fixing/replacing your lower.

LX Kid

Ensign
Going to start a new thread about deciding that I'm going to tackle replacing my exhaust bellows "without" removing the outdrive. Saw some innovative home made tools to to "git-r-done." Ya I know, "Good luck with that Ron!"

thumpar

Admiral
Going to start a new thread about deciding that I'm going to tackle replacing my exhaust bellows "without" removing the outdrive. Saw some innovative home made tools to to "git-r-done." Ya I know, "Good luck with that Ron!"
Why? it is 6 nuts and the trim pin.

LX Kid

Ensign
Why? it is 6 nuts and the trim pin.

Special tools, finding someone to lend a hand and especially more gooder "brain!" LoL Arthritis in the knees doesn't help either. (That sucker is heavy even with the lower off!)