'59 Lone Star Newport Restoration

Stykbowhntr

Seaman
After a few hours of surfing these threads, I was inspired to create my own restoration thread. Here it is as it was given to me.
picture.php

Vegetation and all
picture.php

picture.php

I'll add pics of my progress when I have some free time this weekend. Thanks to all who have been so helpful thus far. I think I've been bitten by the resto bug! I know some of you have seen these pics, but I wanted to start from the beginning.

Stykbowhntr

Seaman
Re: '59 Lone Star Newport Restoration

The following pictures will bring the project to it's current state. I'm sure I will have questions from here on out.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I came to the conclusion that I should have started in the bow and worked aft. It was difficult stradling those seat boxes and trying to get everything unscrewed and removed from that cramped little compartment.

My goal this weekend is to get the 51 years of grime off the bottom and remove the transom. I might even get the leak test done.

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

A very cool boat, well worth saving! I just love finned boats :)

If you haven't found them already, the original brochures are here-

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Lone_Star

Might come in handy during the restore.

-Andrew

Thanks. Those are a little clearer than others I've seen. Another sight is:

www.austinantiqueboatclub.com

I got a little bit done towards degreasing the boat. I didn't even have to fill it with water to find my first leak. There is an old repair on this boat and I had a feeling it was going to be the first spot I'd have to address. Here are a couple of photos.

Inside shot:
picture.php

Outside shots:
picture.php

picture.php

Whatever was used to seal the repair was extremely brittle and came right out on the inside. I'm not exactly sure at this point how to approach it. That's where you guru's come in.

An interesting side note. I was just about to sit down to eat last night when someone knocked on my door. An older gentleman was standing there and he said he needed to thank me for bringing back so many memories. His father purchased my boat brand new in China, Maine (about 2 hours from here) when he was 9 years old. He looked inside before he came to the door to make sure that it was the same boat. His sister ran over a jon boat and nearly killed the guy, hence the damage that I have to deal with. He spent his teenage years running the boat on China Lake. The funny thing is, he's lived in the house behind me for 10 years and we had never met. Small world!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Get that old whatever sealant off and possibly have it welded. It appears to be a crack.

There are other ways to fix it that will last but first get a stainless steel wire wheel and remove that stuff.

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

Get that old whatever sealant off and possibly have it welded. It appears to be a crack.

There are other ways to fix it that will last but first get a stainless steel wire wheel and remove that stuff.

Thanks! I'm going to finish cleaning the inside and then flip it. I should be able to get a better look that way. The stuff on the inside came right off.

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

I haven't made a whole lot of progress. Got about a third of her scrubbed out. Been trying to clean out enough space in the garage to get her inside. I have another question though. There is a hole through the transom that is sleeved with aluminum (picture below). This is a view into the pan that runs along the top of the transom. It appears to be pressed in. I know it has to come out because it runs through the wood. Any ideas on how to do this without destroying it?

picture.php

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

I finally exposed the transom, and I've got to say I think they built the boat around it. I can get the old one out no problem as it is so rotten I can put my finger through most of it. However, I can't see how a new one would go in without removing a bunch of rivets, either on the fins or the side and bottom brackets. Anyone ever have this problem?

picture.php

picture.php

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

Well...I guess since it's not a Starcraft, no one has ever had this problem. Looks like I'll start drilling rivets to get this out in one piece.

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

I want to apologize for the post yesterday. Just a little frustration coming out. Would it be possible to do a 3 piece transom with (vertical joints) and horizontal bracing over the joints? Doing it in 3 sections would keep the any joints from being in the centerline of the boat. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Just to complete the story on the boat, after it was given to me, I took a couple of pictures to show my brother. After looking at them he said he knew the boat. He actually made and installed the blue seats. His best friend had owned the boat in the early 90's. In 96, his friend took his own life. Although he says the boat doesn't bother him I have my doubts. I'm considering scrapping the project and looking for something else. I'm not really sure what to do. I know it is a personal decision that I have to make, but as Paul Harvey used to say..."now you know the rest of the story."

Dan

bananaboater

Ensign

From this Starcraft owner :) I wouldn't give up. You have a good looking boat and if you finish it you will have something worth the frustration.

I would NOT take the rivets out of the hull/stern joint. I have seen but cannot now find the process I would try. A Starcrafter took out the rivets along the top of the gunnel just enough to bend back the aluminum decking to get it out of the way for the new transom. In your case that is made more difficult since the fins will prevent that gentle bending back. From what I can see in your pics it looks like the fins may be joined by rivets forward. You might have to remove them completely. If you do that you will need sealed end rivets to put it back.

Keep us posted with pics.

bananaboater

Ensign

I just took another look at the stern. Is that an L bracket I see holding in the transom on the hull? If so can that come out, slide in the new transom from the interior bottom and put the brackets back in? May be not without the bottom brace coming out too.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

For your transom drain tube...I would just go ahead and mutilate it to remove it if you have to. They are easily replaced. I put plastic ones in mine (for my splashwell) and they're easily installed and sealed up with 5200. Looks like Moeller makes an aluminum tube also that should be easy and cheap to find http://www.moellermarine.com/aftermarket/livewell_baitwell/drain_tubes/

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

I just took another look at the stern. Is that an L bracket I see holding in the transom on the hull? If so can that come out, slide in the new transom from the interior bottom and put the brackets back in? May be not without the bottom brace coming out too.

Thanks for the response. The L bracket is fastened to the center stringer by 10 rivets. However, the existing transom is wedge shaped and cannot be dropped down for removal or replacement. The only options I see are removing the fins (many rivets involved), or removing the L bracket and the forward portion of the side brackets. There would be 4 rivets per bracket, and they are not in the seam. The back portion of the bracket would not have to be removed. I'll try to get some better pics of the brackets tonight.

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

For your transom drain tube...I would just go ahead and mutilate it to remove it if you have to. They are easily replaced. I put plastic ones in mine (for my splashwell) and they're easily installed and sealed up with 5200. Looks like Moeller makes an aluminum tube also that should be easy and cheap to find http://www.moellermarine.com/aftermarket/livewell_baitwell/drain_tubes/

I already mutilated it :D . I appreciate the info on the replacement. I'll keep plugging away at this and maybe end up with something worthwhile. Again, thanks for the help.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey Styk,

Based on what I can see in your pics, your transom is a piece of cake. Drill out the rivets on those L Brackets and the Center Transom Brace and "Git er Dun" man!!! Use Exterior Grade Ply soaked in resin (pay close attention to the edges. Put some 1708 Biax cloth on it (both sides and edges) soak it in resin again and you'll be good to go for 50 years!:D When you go back make sure to use Mushroom Head rivets
http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet18.htm
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/the-best-way-to-install-a-solid-rivet
Good Luck
Don't forget to use Gluvit to Seal Everything up when yer dun!!!!
Harbor Freight has these or you could rent one
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...ing-hammer-with-5-piece-chisel-set-97857.html

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral

I was going to say just destroy that drain piece but was beaten to it...nice rig!

Not too many of those old Lonestars with the fins around, too bad about your brother's friend.:(

Look forward to seeing your progress and welcome to the tin can club:)

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

Hey Styk,

Based on what I can see in your pics, your transom is a piece of cake. Drill out the rivets on those L Brackets and the Center Transom Brace and "Git er Dun" man!!! Use Exterior Grade Ply soaked in resin (pay close attention to the edges. Put some 1708 Biax cloth on it (both sides and edges) soak it in resin again and you'll be good to go for 50 years!:D When you go back make sure to use Mushroom Head rivets
http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet18.htm
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/the-best-way-to-install-a-solid-rivet
Good Luck
Don't forget to use Gluvit to Seal Everything up when yer dun!!!!
Harbor Freight has these or you could rent one
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...ing-hammer-with-5-piece-chisel-set-97857.html

The original transom looks like it was sealed with spar varnish. How much should I reduce the thickness to account for the resin and cloth or is it not enough to worry about? I plan to start drilling tonight.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is your transom a single thickness of 3/4 " plywood? If so, then no worries. If not then allow 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch for the resin and cloth if you plan on putting cloth on both sides and I would do that if I were you. How big a motor will you be hanging on her?

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

Is your transom a single thickness of 3/4 " plywood? If so, then no worries. If not then allow 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch for the resin and cloth if you plan on putting cloth on both sides and I would do that if I were you. How big a motor will you be hanging on her?

I haven't measured it yet, but just eyeballing it, it looks to be about 1-1/4 inches thick. I am going to do the resin and cloth....if I ever get the transom out. Always seems like something comes up in the evenings, but maybe tomorrow. I'm planning on about a 40hp motor. I'll be looking for that this winter. I have an 8 horse Johnson for a kicker that I'll use trolling.