59' Johnson 35 hp plug wires???

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am working on a 59' johnson 35 hp and replacing the coils. I have read on a some threads it is ok and others that it is not ok, to use automotive spark plug wire as a replacement....note that this is a magnito set-up. what is the reason for not being able to use automotive type, if that is the case? also if solid core wire is required, where can I find it by the foot so I can make new wires. Now for another quick question, being solid core wire is there a way I can test each wire prior to re-install (I have the plate out to replace the coils) I don't want to put it back together with old parts(wires).

EN2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 59' Johnson 35 hp plug wires???

Go to NAPA and buy stranded core spark plug wire by the foot. Auto wire is resistance wire, not for use on magneto. Check here on IBOATS they might have it. Do you have an ohmeter? Test the wires with it.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Small engine shops also have the right wire, by the foot.

lindy46

Captain

I buy it by the foot at my Johnnyrude dealer - 7mm Hypalon copper core wire.

kbait

Commander

Use your multimeter and find a range that gives you a reading when you check from plug wire insert pin on the coil to one of the coil wires. Make sure you can duplicate this reading from the spark plug boot end of wire and coil wire to see if it's all connected well. This won't necessarily tell you if the coil is good, or the plug wire won't arc out to ground somewhere, but w/your new parts you can be confident that it's least connected properly and you're good to proceed. Good luck!