59 18hp Armature Plate - Question on Retaining Ring

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks to JB & F_R for the advice on the Flywheel and Armature plate. Received my plate yesterday, and order tracking says my flywheel will be here on Tuesday.

Anyhow, there is a Retaining Ring, and Support underneath the Armature Plate. When I pulled the old parts off the motor, I saw that there was a ton of play in the Retaining Ring. It seemed to just float around underneath the support.

I did read a post in here a while back about hitting the retaining ring with a punch, etc., but don't remember exactly what the post pertained to.

I attached a file (hopefully) that shows the setup of these parts.

Any advice???
Thanks!
Rick

Is this supposed to be like this, or is this normal?

Last edited:

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 59 18hp Armature Plate - Question on Retaining Ring

Hmmmm, an emoticon shows up in my post, and, the my jpg file apparently has an error in it. Batting a thousand today....

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 59 18hp Armature Plate - Question on Retaining Ring

Yes, the aluminum retaining ring floats around loose under the brass support ring with the armature plate off. I don't advise dinging up the support ring at least till you find out that it's necessary to do so. You'll probably get it too tight. A little bit of slop isn't something to stay up nights worrying about. And don't worry about electrical ground. Only high (spark) voltage goes through there and easilly gets across the juncture.

Grease the assembly very lightly with some EP grease. Too much will splatter out and get all over the points. The aluminum retaining ring goes flat side up.