56 Johnson Javelin 30 Restoration / New to this

Nate Lair

Cadet
Hey everyone! I just picked up a 56 Johnson from my boss for free because he didn't have the time to work on it. I'm super pumped to get this thing back on the water after lord knows how many years it's been sitting. Problem is, I know nothing about outboards... It has compression, spark, and the glass fuel bowl fills up when primed, but it's not getting fuel to the carb as far as I can tell. I think the obvious solution is to take off the carb and rebuild it, but my question for you guys is, do I need to switch the fuel system to a single line? I've been digging around these forums I think I need a pressurized tank if I don't switch? Once again I don't know anything about outboards so feel free to correct me! Any input is appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It left the factory with a 2 line pressure tank.----But many were converted to a single line with a fuel pump.------Describe the fitting on the motor.----Is it 2 pins ?-----Or 2 pins with one pin above it ?

Nate Lair

Cadet
It left the factory with a 2 line pressure tank.----But many were converted to a single line with a fuel pump.------Describe the fitting on the motor.----Is it 2 pins ?-----Or 2 pins with one pin above it ?
Is this the fitting you’re referring to? Or are you talking about a different component

Attachments

• 2AE01E0C-4268-42CF-9B8A-B6F6EF455768.jpeg
    2AE01E0C-4268-42CF-9B8A-B6F6EF455768.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 25

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The motor gas been converted to run with a fuel pump.----No need for the pressure tank.

Nate Lair

Cadet
The motor gas been converted to run with a fuel pump.----No need for the pressure tank.
Awesome thanks! In that case, my guess would be either the pump isn't working properly or the carb is so gunked up that it's not letting fuel flow. Any suggestions on what to check first?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The carburetor will be much easier to get off if you first remove the flywheel. You most likely will need to do that anyway because the coils are probably shot.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The fuel pump has nothing to with the motor starting.-----It keeps carburetor full after the motor has started.----Filter issue ?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Nate...did you download yourself a copy if the johnsnon service manual ??

go to MEMEBERS ONLY tab.... select INNER SANCTUM....go down to LIBRARY...find GARRY SPENCER'S drop box ... open it then go all the way downn to the RED BOOK .... down load it to your PC

you can get it printed and bound at a local print shop I did mine in 2 binders)

Attachments

• RED book.JPG
    RED book.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 3

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
well that was silly........ hopping around....morning fog

above instructions not applicable on this site

you will need to join AOMCI and become a member . the book itself is worth it :)

Nate Lair

Cadet
well that was silly........ hopping around....morning fog

above instructions not applicable on this site

you will need to join AOMCI and become a member . the book itself is worth it :)
I’ll do that! A service manual would be nice to have

Nate Lair

Cadet
The fuel pump has nothing to with the motor starting.-----It keeps carburetor full after the motor has started.----Filter issue ?
I wouldn’t be surprised, I took the filter out and cleaned it as well as I could. Is there a secondary filter other than the one in the glass bowl?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The one in the glass bowl is a very good filter.-----Perhaps remove it ( for testing ) and see if you can get fuel into the carburetor.-----There is a screen under the cover on the fuel pump too.

Nate Lair

Cadet
The one in the glass bowl is a very good filter.-----Perhaps remove it ( for testing ) and see if you can get fuel into the carburetor.-----There is a screen under the cover on the fuel pump too.
Sounds good, thanks for the advice! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions

Nate Lair

Cadet
Actually, I might have just not primed it enough, I was too scared of flooding it that I'm not actually sure if I pumped the fuel bulb enough. How do I know when to stop? Is there a drain screw on the carb bowl I can take out to see? I didn't see one myself but maybe it's just hidden.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are you testing for spark with the plugs laying on the block ?----Not a good test.-----Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more on a test device ?---A good magneto will jump 1/4" easily with spark going ---Snap , snap that you can hear.------Carburetors should be empty when you hook up the tank.-----Then when you operate the bulb you must feel fuel moving ( 4 or 5 squeezes ) is what it takes..------You can drain carburetor by removing the high speed mixture needle on the bottom.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Visit ----leroysramblings-----Wonderful reading about how these motors work.-----And your 30 HP motor is just a bigger version of a 1956 model 10 HP.

Nate Lair

Cadet
Are you testing for spark with the plugs laying on the block ?----Not a good test.-----Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more on a test device ?---A good magneto will jump 1/4" easily with spark going ---Snap , snap that you can hear.------Carburetors should be empty when you hook up the tank.-----Then when you operate the bulb you must feel fuel moving ( 4 or 5 squeezes ) is what it takes..------You can drain carburetor by removing the high speed mixture needle on the bottom.
Gotcha and one more thing, how do I remove the high speed needle? The casing unscrews but the needle itself remains

tphoyt

Ensign
For some reason I can’t get the pic of the pump to enlarge but does anyone else see a fuel line going to the pump?

Nate Lair

Cadet
Well boys I took off the carb and it doesn’t look great in here… advises?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

Nate Lair

Cadet
For some reason I can’t get the pic of the pump to enlarge but does anyone else see a fuel line going to the pump?
There’s only one line. Apparently someone switched it to a single line system before I got ahold of it