55 johnson 3hp plug wires

rgeddes

Cadet
I jsut replaced my coils. I need to replace my plug wires. I am having a hard time finding them. Where can I buy them. They have a normal connection at the spark plug, but just a hole at the coil. Any suggestions? A part number would be great? Could I take a normal wire and cut it? But, how do I cut the wire back inside the jacket?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 55 johnson 3hp plug wires

You can usually find spark plug lead by the foot at your local marine supplier. If you don't have one, then try Sea-Way Marine.

rgeddes

Cadet

The coil has a male end ( a wire sticking out of it). The plug wire needs about 1/4" of a female end. Do the wires just cross over each other or Do I need to trim the plug wire?

You can usually find spark plug lead by the foot at your local marine supplier. If you don't have one, then try Sea-Way Marine.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi rg. I've had luck finding 7mm Copper core spark plug wire at NAPA, O'Reillys and other auto parts stores as well. As far as the wires themselves are concerned, you'll want to cut one end of the wire flush, then twist it on to the small pin on the coil. Make sure you get good contact between the metal core of the wire and the pin. You'll then need to add a boot to the other end. There are several different kinds including spring loaded designs which pierce the wire to make contact with its metal core, but I like the crimp on variety which involve exposing about 1/2" of the copper core, folding it back on to the wire and crimping on the boot. You can even solder them on there if you like. Here's a great link that walk you through the job with lots of pics.

3 HP Evinrude Lightwin Ignition System Tune-Up 1952-1967

nwcove

Admiral

you just make sure the wire is cut off square, and twist it into the coil....a bit of wd-40 or dialectric grease makes it alot easier.

rgeddes

Cadet

I bought some wires and cut them off. I am putting it back together. The engine is stuck. I can't rotate it with the starter cord. Could I have put it together wrong?

nwcove

Admiral

did you set the coils back to the mounting boss's??? its very important and i would guess not, and the flywheel is binding on one of them.