55 3HP Johnson Carburetor

rgeddes

Cadet
I have a 55 3hp Johnson motor that has a bad carburetor. I need to replace the carburetor. Someone took a screwdriver and messed up the ports. Anyone know where I can find a carburetor body for a 55 3hp Johnson? I'm assuming that I can find the replacement parts to rebuild the carb on this site if I can locate a new body. Any other suggestions would be great? The engine will run if I spay carb fluid directly into it, but the carb is really messed up.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 55 3HP Johnson Carburetor

Post a wanted ad on the AOMCI.org site. Same, or similar carbs were used for many years on the 3hp models from about 1953 on up to the mid 1960s (when they did away with the high-speed needle valve and went to fixed jetting.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

A few listings for Evinrude 3hp carbs on Fleabay.
Prices are a bit high though...

kbait

Commander

Here's a list of salvage yards: http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/salvage-yards-wilde1-438822.html

I use Tim's outboard 218-682-2331 exclusively. Great folks and always have what I need w/FAST shipping. Have your motors model number handy, and you may want them to include a carb kit (They have BRP original aftermarket parts for OMC motors.. kit will include new float). You may want to order a couple drain plug seals if you're changing the gear lube. If you need any other parts like carb needle knobs, rubber tiller handle, etc, let 'em know, they'll likely have what you need at nice prices.

Good luck!

nwcove

Admiral

if the above suggestions dont work out, google doug penn. hes a great guy, very reasonable prices.