50 Hp Johnson Smokey / Already linked synched, Next?

ShellBack101

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
43
Hi Ya'll I have a 1996 50hp Johnson w/VRO. at Low RPM my idle is rough and the motor smokes a bit and leaves oily blobs on the water, but if fine past 2000 rpm. I have linked and Synched, and replaced fule filter and fuel line. From reading forums here on I-Boats I think my next step is to rebuild the fuel pump. Is there any thing else that you guys can tell me that I should try before pulling the boat out of the water and attacking the fuel pump????? Thanks -K
 

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
51,019
Re: 50 Hp Johnson Smokey / Already linked synched, Next?

check your compression, should be above 100psi, and with in 10% of each other. also vro may not be operating correctly
 

Walker

Captain
Joined
Jun 15, 2002
Messages
3,085
Re: 50 Hp Johnson Smokey / Already linked synched, Next?

Does it do it everytime you idle or just the first time off the trailer??
 

ShellBack101

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
43
Re: 50 Hp Johnson Smokey / Already linked synched, Next?

It happens all the time, like I said at idle and RPM<2000 it is rough and smokey. Above 2000 s-m-o-o-t-h
 

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 27, 2002
Messages
10,161
Re: 50 Hp Johnson Smokey / Already linked synched, Next?

Check your engine temp. If the engine is running cold, it can smoke and not idle well.
 
Top